Recurring events er... tasks and launching programs

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
redbeard

Recurring events er... tasks and launching programs

Post by redbeard »

I'd like to have a task run every 5 minutes on the 5's and 0's of the minutes of the hour (mod 5). In using the Sleep Timer, I find that the stopping, triggering the task, and restarting the timer takes a second or two, or sometimes more, and things slowly creep out of sync.

At present, the only way I see to do this is to call a script every minute, test the minute of the System Time, and if it's mod 5, launch my program. Am I missing anything in HB that could help me reach my goal here more easily?

Also, in trying to launch my program using CreateObject "Wscript.Shell" etc. I am running into syntax errors that I can't get around, while this same script works from the command line. Is something within HB preventing my launching programs or other scripts from within an HB script? Should I be using a different launch command?

FWIW, I'm trying to run MRTG (perl.exe) every 5 minutes from HB. Here's my script:

Code: Select all

dim Cmd
  Cmd = "%comspec% /c c:\perl\bin\perl.exe e:\mrtg-2.14.4\bin\mrtg e:\mrtg\ups1400.cfg"
  CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run(Cmd, 0, True)
[/code]
- rb