Using Trial

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
tonyno

Using Trial

Post by tonyno »

Hello! I'm playing with the trial and have a couple questions...

1. Shouldn't the Winamp plugin get more properties than the just the state and track time/position?

2. I have created an Execute Client Application Button to fire off another program, but the parameters are being truncated. Are there any limitations here? I can't find any stated in the docs.

Thanks!
HB Guy

Post by HB Guy »

Can you provide an example of the string that is calling the application?

As for the WinAmp device, IMHO I think it was designed to provide basic functionality when it was created ages ago. Further enhancement was probably suspended when HouseBot was incorporated with Meedio (Media Center software). Scott's the right person to shed light on the WinAmp device's past, present, and future.
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

Thanks for the response!

The parameters are formatted like so: "function( string, value)". It truncates it to "function(" after saving and going back in to the editor. I first thought that it choked on the spaces, but the same thing happens without them. Maybe I should try it in quotes or something. :?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Using Trial

Post by ScottBot »

tonyno wrote:1. Shouldn't the Winamp plugin get more properties than the just the state and track time/position?
Not sure what you are seeing with this. The WinAmp Device should have over 25 different properties. As HB Guy said, it's really meant to be a basic audio player and was never really expanded on. Personally, I use it and it meets all of my requirements (Imagine that :wink: )
2. I have created an Execute Client Application Button to fire off another program, but the parameters are being truncated. Are there any limitations here? I can't find any stated in the docs.
Not sure about this. You shouldn't need to enclose anything in quotes, although quotes in the argument string may cause some problems. What is the exact argument string you are setting?
Scott
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

The Winamp device only populates the properties I mentioned. Also, the displayed state is hit-or-miss. Let me know what other info I can supply.

The argument string was generalized above, as...

Code: Select all

command("string",value)
When I go back into the control, it shows...

command(
I got a tip to try a batch file, which worked, but I'd like to do this the right way. :wink:

Also, is there a way to send/receive data via Windows Messages (message number, wparam, and lparam)?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Try creating another WinAmp Device and see if it shows all of the properties. Typically if a Device can't find all of it's properties, it throws an error and fails to load. I've never seen one that is only partially loaded. Very strange. Can you send me ([email protected]) a screen shot of the screen?

The double quote in the argument string is definitely the problem. Try either changing it to a single quote or escaping it with a slash.

command(\"string\",value)
Scott
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

Thanks Scott! I'll try those this evening... or maybe even during lunch.
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

Escaping with the backslash just truncated it to, "command(\". :?

But I am closer!

What I did find, is that single quotes work ( command( 'string', value) ), but HB is wrapping the arguments in a double-quote when it sends it, so the target app is seeing "command ('string', value)", which is not correct.

Any ideas on this? Thanks!
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

OK, brute-force progress. Until this gets worked out, I have had success using curl.

Is there a way to trigger a Client Application on a parameter change?
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

I just downloaded the latest winamp (lite) and added the Winamp device in HB as a test to see if I could help. I see about 28 properties, and they seem to be active and changeable, but since I don't have an audio card in this box, I can't test audio at the moment. I'll see if I can dig one up tonight and do a little more testing.

FYI: Cross-posted on the CT Housebot thread...

Terry
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I guess I should have tested it out first... sorry bout that.

Yes, the command line args are quoted internally within the plugin. This was to handle cases for long file names with spaces being cut into multiple arguments (files). I could be managed better, but that won't help you now.
tonyno wrote:OK, brute-force progress. Until this gets worked out, I have had success using curl.

Is there a way to trigger a Client Application on a parameter change?
To execute an application when a property changes, create a task and setup a condition to test the property that you want to trigger on to something like

if (theProperty != "something it will never equal") then
 Change "Execute Program Device.Execute Program" to "Yes"
Scott
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

if (theProperty != "something it will never equal") then
Change "Execute Program Device.Execute Program" to "Yes"
Wouldn't this always fire, flooding the system?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

No. Tasks are only evaluated when one of the properties in its condition list has changed. So it will only be tested when the property changes.
Scott
tonyno

Post by tonyno »

Great, thanks!
Try creating another WinAmp Device and see if it shows all of the properties.
To be clear, all the properties are listed under the device, but only the mentioned ones have values. I'll get a screen cap tonight.
redbeard

Winamp 5, can't start Playing from Stopped

Post by redbeard »

I loaded Winamp 5.24 tonight and installed the Winamp device. I see that the various states are represented, but I can't start Winamp playing from the device. If I start Winamp playing using the Winamp controls, it works fine, then changes from the device work, until I STOP it. Then I can't start Winamp playing again. Is the current plugin not compatible with the latest version of Winamp?
- rb