Best means of interfacing with video capture

HouseBot Plugin Development Discussions.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Best means of interfacing with video capture

Post by Steve Horn »

This is "brainstorm" type question. I've been trading a few emails with a company that markets video capture software and video capture cards (for security-type applications). I've purchased the (very reasonably priced) software and hardware (not received yet), but suggested to them that they should investigate a means of interfacing their app to external apps, like Housebot or security controllers. A typical simplistic scenario would that the video capture software identifies an event (i.e. movement) in one of the cameras, passes the camera port, time/date, etc. to the Housebot server. HB then can alert the owner, turn on lights, enunciators, etc. Currently his software captures the motion to a file on the hard drive - there is no means of sharing that info with other apps. Further, there is no means for controling the capture software via an external app (like HB). So, how do you see the best way of passing data between these apps if they are running on 1) the same boxes, 2) different boxes? My first thought was use of a serial port for the 'separate boxes' scenario, and Windows Message Device if the apps are on the same box. I'm interested in other ideas though, since I'm not an expert on much of anything.
Steve
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

I wouldn't use the serial port. I would use some sort of network protocol like UDP or a bit higher level protocol like xPL.

My $0.02 worth. Which is all I can afford :)

Eric
Hobby Boards
Complete 1-Wire solutions
http://www.hobby-boards.com
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Since everyone else from Alabama is posting, I though I might as well too. 8)

I second the use of xAP/xPL, I use this now to talk between Zoneminder and Misterhouse on a limited basis. I understand somebody has written a complete interface for Mister house and (better) somebody is working on xAP for Housebot. Zone minder is fully xAP aware and will send out xAP message for pretty much everything it does.

Terry

P.S. Steve, I noticed you're in Pelham...Anywhere close to the Milo's on 31 & Valeydale? I live about 1/2 mile from there...