button press behavior suggestion

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
Paul Forgey

button press behavior suggestion

Post by Paul Forgey »

With a real remote control (or a Pronto), a button sends out the code when the button is pressed, not when released as what happens with a Windows button. When trying to find a spot in a TiVo recording, video tape or DVD, it's much easier to nail the spot if the button acts when pressed rather than released. Not only does it feel snappier, but the button still works if my finger slips out of the rectangle before releasing it. That's very easy to do because you can't feel buttons on a touch screen.

To allow for the current behavior including the difference between pressing and holding, in addition to the two options currently available, I suggest introducing a third option for mouse down.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Good idea.
Scott
casemyster

Post by casemyster »

this works with the ati rw 1, as i have it this way of most of my buttons. i like my arrow keys to work with down press, and enter, clear, etc to work with button up. im not sure about your remote, but there s a button down, button hold (after like 1 second), and a button release for each button on the ati remote wonder. check it out. its a littl frustrating when "learning" in the configuration, but once its done, its much better i think.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've implemented this feature for the four most common buttons (Property Value change, Mult-State, Panel Change, Execute Task). You will see it in the next release.
Scott