remote client looses connection after long idle time

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
Paul Forgey

remote client looses connection after long idle time

Post by Paul Forgey »

If the remote client runs long enough, the connection seems to time out. The buttons don't change any property values and controls showing property values aren't updated. Telling the client to reload the theme restores functionality until the next time out.

This seems to happen if I leave it for more than 12 hours or so, indicating this could be the system's TCP timeout. Is SO_KEEPALIVE set? This isn't a LAN issue because my remote client is connected via loopback (127.0.0.1).
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: remote client looses connection after long idle time

Post by ScottBot »

Paul Forgey wrote:...Is SO_KEEPALIVE set?
No. I'll do some testing with it set to see if there's any difference.
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Paul,

When this happens, do you still see the Software Remote listed in the Active Software Remotes list on the HouseBot server?
Scott
Paul Forgey

Post by Paul Forgey »

ScottBot wrote:Paul,

When this happens, do you still see the Software Remote listed in the Active Software Remotes list on the HouseBot server?

Apparently it takes longer than 12 hours for this to happen (I went home and watched TV after my last posting), so I'll get back to you in the next 24 hours. In addition, I'll leave another instance of it running on another machine to see if there's any difference in behavior.
Paul Forgey

Post by Paul Forgey »

finally happened again. I don't think it's a timing issue- took only 40 minutes or so this time. According to House Bot the state was still ''in session".
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've never seen this myself, but it may be a result of the way some drivers are handling ... something... maybe powersave.

The next release will have the clients connected with the SO_KEEPALIVE flag, so hopefully that will help.
Scott