Incrementing a wildcard (*) property - possible?

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Incrementing a wildcard (*) property - possible?

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I have implemented a volume property that uses "*" as the value so I can use it for substitution to pass to a serial device. I have a slider control using this property and it works great.

I would also like to be able to create Up and Down buttons for this same wildcard property using the +=1 and -=1 syntax but that doesn't seem to work. I have the +=1 and -=1 working on another property (X10 Preset Dim Level) so I know it at least works. Is this something that can't be done or am I missing something?

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Is the property value Type set as Numeric?
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Can I set it as numeric and still have the value default to "*" so that the wildcard works?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Sure.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hmm. I must be doing something wrong then. While I was waiting for your reply I changed the property type to numeric (it was alpha-numeric). When I did this and clicked on the up/down buttons or the slider control I got this error:

Unable to find associated Command associated with Property and Value [Zone 1 Volume.35]

The Zone 1 Volume property only has one value: "*". Is there something else I need to do to set this up properly?

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Dave,

I'm not sure why you are seeing this. I've just tested this using the Generic Serial plugin (I'm assuming that's what you are using), and it seems to work ok. Doublecheck to make sure the '*' is still assigned to the command. Maybe restart HouseBot??
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Scott,

I think something is corrupted in my device configuration but I don't know how to figure out where. I noticed that when I go to the "Commands" tab for the "Zone 1 Volume" property there are a bunch of garbage commands at the top of the command list before the commands I actually entered are listed. I don't know if this is a bug or something I did wrong but I'd sure like to figure it out.

Let me know if there is anything I can send you to help. I also just noticed that when I looked at the Property Values section for that command (which I just changed to Numeric again to test) the only command listed had a value of "0" rather than "*'". The other similar commands for the other zones all had values of "*". I have restarted many times as part of my development process and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

-- Dave

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If you send me your HBData.mdb file (found in the HouseBot\Config directory) along with a short description of what the configuration is supposed to be like, I'll see if I can sort things out. You can send it to me at [email protected].
Scott