Great Job Scott

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
bevins

Great Job Scott

Post by bevins »

Scott,

I am currently using MrHouse with Linux, but want to move some load off of mrhouse. I found your program and I believe it is what I will use.

Great job on the interface.

If you need some development with interfaces let me know. I will be glad to help.Also I will want to add some stuff to communicate tcp with my other box. What is the possibility of getting some internal documentation for development?

Thanks again for what seems to be a great program.

Bob Bevins
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Bob,

Once you dig into it and determine what exactly you need to do for communicating via TCP, let me know the specifics. It is possible to run multiple HouseBot servers and have them communicate with each other by replicating Devices using the 'Device Replicator' Device. A solution might be to write your own Device Plugin and having it replicated between the two machines. Also, the 'External Control' Plugin (separate download) can control a remote HouseBot server across a network.

A HouseBot-to-MrHouse Device Plugin might be cool, but I know nothing of interfacing with Mr House to even suggest whether it would be possible or not.

Check out the SDKs on the web site. You can extend HouseBot to a large degree by adding Plugins. If you need additional interfaces, let me know. Most of the interfaces are documented in the SDK. I'm always willing to add more when needed.

Thanks for the offer to help. I would mostly encourage you to share any Plugins you write with the rest of the community (I can post them on this site if you like.).

Scott
bevins

Great Job Scott

Post by bevins »

Scott,

Thanks, I didn't even see the SDK. I dove right into the forums, thats where I like actual user feedback.

I will check out the sdk.

Thanks again,

Bob Bevins
Automate

Post by Automate »

Great idea Bob!

I had thought of that also but since I am not actually running MisterHouse and don't have the time to write something like that, I never posted about it. I do follow the MisterHouse mail list. A bunch of great programmers with good home automation ideas over there. I think I have even posted a link there to a relevant post on the HouseBot forum once.

Another idea I had was to add Perlscript as a second scripting language of HouseBot. I don't imagine it would be that hard, HomeSeer offers Perlscript as one of its scripting languages http://www.homeseer.com/products/homeseer/

There is a lot of good Perl code written for MisterHouse. I am sure it would require some reworking to use under HouseBot but at least it would give some people a head start and easier transition from MisterHouse

I have just assumed that HouseBot is written in some form of C. Scott, do you mine saying what language it is written in?

Jim
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It's all written entirely in C++. I use Microsoft VC++ and MFC (no .net).

Scott