little help - automating via windows messages

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
schettj

little help - automating via windows messages

Post by schettj »

First off, let me say COOL TOOL! This thing is perfect for my HTPC accplication - I was doing this myself using ATI MMC's generic remote API and a self-written http servlet, which kinda worked but was imperfect. I THINK this will be perfect, if only I can get it to do what I want.

So, I have been working on getting PowerDVD 4.0 XP wired into Housebot, and it is going pretty well. I cannot seem to get it to accept Ctrl-X as a keystroke (to exit the app) so that's question number 1.

Question #2 is broader - has anyone already configured PowerDVD and/or ATI's MMC 7.x? I will need to configure the TV application.

In summery, great app! We could use a lot more examples/docs for sure, but even without them I could probably make it happen.
ckusmierz

Re:

Post by ckusmierz »

I was just exposed to HB myself but I have started working on an inteface to ATI MMC 7.x.

Currently I'm posting messages via API to the ATI generic remote by way of a software device I created using the HB VB SDK.

Being new to this home automation stuff I've been thinking what would be the better approach to managing my video card (ATI AIW Raedon 7500)

I'm thinking I should create three(3) software devices, one for the TV, one for the DVD and one for the CD.

Under this set up I could create a channel property for the TV device which could say accept a value of '-1' to decrement the channel, '+1' to increment the channel, '0' to return to the last channel, '23' to jump to channel 23, etc..

What I would like is some feedback on creating a sort of protocol based on a grouping of functionality and devices so I can make this as inuitive as I can. Any takers?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

As you are finding out, the Windows Message Device is still a little rough. The initial version had a lot of problems. I fixed a good number of the problems to bring us to the version that exists now. However, there may very well still be some issues.

Anytime a keystroke does not seem to work, make sure that you try it with the 'Alternative Method' checked also.

Unfortunately, I don't have PowerDVD myself to test the Control-X problem you are seeing.

Another alternative would be to use Girder to control PowerDVD and use HouseBot to control Girder using the "Girder Bridge" Device. Girder is MUCH better at controlling apps with Windows Messages.

I agree that more samples and docs would help. We'll get there... :wink:

Scott[/b]
schettj

Post by schettj »

ScottBot wrote:Another alternative would be to use Girder to control PowerDVD and use HouseBot to control Girder using the "Girder Bridge" Device. Girder is MUCH better at controlling apps with Windows Messages.[/b]
Wow, like full circle :D - I came here from Girder - now I need to go back to Girder to get here :?

Ok, I can still see how this would be useful - housebot gives me the ability to make a nice projected UI for my HTPC on my pda, Girder lets me control the ATI MMC tv and PowerDVD, and I can drive Girder from housebot.

It is a little convoluted, but I will give it a go. Girder has existing 'Groups' (like devices in HouseBot) for both the ATI MMC TV app and PowerDVD.

So there is some way for me to map onto a Girder group in HouseBot then? Off to experiment!
schettj

Post by schettj »

Got girder, got it working with housebot - sweet. Thanks!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Glad to hear you got it working.

I realize that the HouseBot + Girder solution just makes it more complicated. The Windows Message Device was an attempt to handle some of the simple Windows Message tasks without the need for Girder. However, Girder is great product, especially when it comes to automating with Windows Messages.

I'd like to continue to boost the Windows Message Device to a point where it can handle any task, but we're not there yet. I'm also careful to not reinvent the wheel. I like to think of HouseBot as a framework that can tie into great software to build a great system.

Scott
schettj

Re:

Post by schettj »

ckusmierz wrote:I was just exposed to HB myself but I have started working on an inteface to ATI MMC 7.x.
<snip>
What I would like is some feedback on creating a sort of protocol based on a grouping of functionality and devices so I can make this as inuitive as I can. Any takers?

Well, I am pretty far along on this, and all I can say is, get girder for sure. In Girder set up commands to control basic functions in ATI TV, DVD, & CD (including launching and quitting the apps, changing channels, skipping chapters, etc) along with individual number actions. Also enable the internet server bit in Girder

Now in HouseBot, you will set up a link to Girder - using that link you can invoke the individual commands you made in Girder via HouseBot.

For complex actions (like changing the TV to a specific action) you make a Task in HouseBot - for example TLC is channel 18 on my cable, so I make a task called TLC which tells Girder "TV1" "TV8" - that changes the channel for me.

Girder can control SYSTEM volume & mute as well, so you don't need individual vol controls for each app.
ckusmierz

Post by ckusmierz »

Girder can control SYSTEM volume & mute as well, so you don't need individual vol controls for each app

I just started looking at Girder and I will probably go that route rather than reinvent the wheel. I like the idea of controlling system volume and mute, I started playing with a seperate set of APIs to control mixer, and got to thinking someone must have done this already.

Thanks for the input.