HB internet access

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Boris

HB internet access

Post by Boris »

Scott, I don't really know if this is a bug or if I'm asking for a feature, anyway:

I tried to connect to the server on a remote client using my main IP address with port forwarding on my router and this seems to work, I haven't tested it using a different internet connection though.

However, I can only use the IP address , HB doesn't seem to support DNS (to use dynamic DNS). I also tried to establish a dial-up connection with an Ipaq, that doesn't seem to work either,.

John

PS I think you did a great job with HB, Some seem to think that it is a rather complicated concept, but once you see through there is almost no limit to it's possibilities. I've been playing with it for about a week now and I am impressed by it's performance.Obviously, I will have to spend a lot more time to really learn to work with it, but that is no problem I love the status feedback , which gives it a professional feel.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

John,

I originally had the host name lookup in the client, but removed it. I don't remember why other than it probably took too long for local connections and required DNS to be configured on the client. I should be able to add an option for this in the next version.

I know that there is a steep learning curve for HB. I've tried to shorten the curve by providing on-line help and sample configurations, but there is still much room for improvement. I'm always open to suggestings that will make it easier to configure, but it is a challenge to increase the usability while still keeping the flexibility.

Scott