Help with adding a Slink-e IR device

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jdmooreii

Post by jdmooreii »

Hopefully this question will not be to dumb, however after working on trying to get just one device installed correctly for the past 2 weeks, I have finally decided to ask for help.

I have a Slink-e and would like to eventually add all ir componets I own into this interface. Currently I am trying to add my Sony DVP-500NS DVD player and be able to control it. I have created and tested my device file in EZ - Learn, everything works from my slink-e interface/CDJ. My commands are named for what they are, ie: poweron, poweroff, eject, etc. along with the ir frequency.

I have read through all slink docs, created the hardware interface, added the remote device in the slinke hardware, created a device called DVD. But I cannot seem to find or associate any of my device file commands to the hardware device i have created.

What am i missing? Does anyone even understand this rambled post? Have i included enough information? Please help if you can. Thanks...john
tnelson

Re: Help with adding a Slink-e IR device

Post by tnelson »

jdmooreii wrote:Hopefully this question will not be to dumb, however after working on trying to get just one device installed correctly for the past 2 weeks, I have finally decided to ask for help.

I have a Slink-e and would like to eventually add all ir componets I own into this interface. Currently I am trying to add my Sony DVP-500NS DVD player and be able to control it. I have created and tested my device file in EZ - Learn, everything works from my slink-e interface/CDJ. My commands are named for what they are, ie: poweron, poweroff, eject, etc. along with the ir frequency.

I have read through all slink docs, created the hardware interface, added the remote device in the slinke hardware, created a device called DVD.
your "DVD" device was created to use the slinke interface right?

But I cannot seem to find or associate any of my device file commands to the hardware device i have created.
device properties must be mapped to IR Codes
in the tree view select each property in the view under the DVD device.

For each property, select the IR Codes tab and "map" the property values
shown for the property to an IR Code in the IR Code list
you select the property value then select the IR Code you want
and then select "Assign Code"
this is how you assign a command (a value in one of the properties) to
the hardware device (an IR Code associated with your hardware device)

Again, when you create the DVD device you have have map it to the slinke interface for it to work against the slinke.

What am i missing? Does anyone even understand this rambled post? Have i included enough information? Please help if you can. Thanks...john
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

John,

Did this answer your question?

-Tom
jdmooreii

Post by jdmooreii »

Tom sorry that i am just now getting back to you. I have been trying again to get this to work and although I am making progress little by little, I have yet to achieve success. The problem is, I don't even know how to explain exactly where I need the help. I am going to try to outline my steps and post them. That way may be I will be easier for the group to see where I am going wrong. Thanks for your help. john
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

John,

You may want to import the CDJ Configuration Sample (found at the bottom of the Download page). It will automatically create a CDJ Device, theme, IR Codes, etc. that are needed to assemble the entire system. Although it is important to understand the configuration process as Tom has explained, the sample does provide a pre-configured working setup.

Scott
jdmooreii

Post by jdmooreii »

Thanks...Will do it tonight. john