CDJ/SLinke interface - multiple PC connection

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

CDJ/SLinke interface - multiple PC connection

Post by Steve Horn »

Looking at the CD Jukebox sample theme, it occurred to me that since my Slink-e serial connection is to the SW remote (a pen tablet running CDJ), the Jukebox theme isnt going to work, since it seems that the Slink-e connection would need to be on the HB server. Correct? And is so, is there a way that the HB server AND the SW remote can "share" the serial connection to the Slink-e? The alternative I guess would be for the SW remote/pen tablet to be able to run CDJ on the HB server. (I've tried this at one point using a VNC connection - it worked but was painfully slow.) Anyone out there with Slink-e/CDJ expertise or expertaise in sharing serial connections?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

You should be able to run the SlinkE on HouseBot and control it with the Software Remote. The sample configuration is doing just that. That way the Software Remote can be free of any serial cables.

Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Scott, the kicker here is that CDJ runs on the remote, which means (I think) that the serial link to the Slink-e needs to be on the remote too. Of course the IDEAL solution would be to replicate all/most of the CDJ functionality via HB panels, and eliminate CDJ from the equation. Your sample is a good start. But CDJ does a lot of stuff: display of track titles, playlist files, album covers, interface to CDDB, etc. Have not looked closely at your sample, nor have I tried to replicate CDJ's functionality via HB - may be beyond my capabilities. Did try to look at the Nirvis CDJ plugin help but "HB IR Device Plugin Overview" was displayed instead. Maybe the HB CDJ WILL do everyhting the the Nirvis CDJ does.. cannot tell.
Steve