Sample configurations?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
grog

Sample configurations?

Post by grog »

Hi everyone,

I've just started experimenting with HouseBot but have to admit the complexity is a little daunting. I think what would really help are some sample configuration files others have put together to give me a starting point. The main thing I want to be able to do is control my Slink-e CDJ software from my wireless iPAQ.

Does anyone have a pre-built configuration doing something similar that they can share?

Thanks,

Jason
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jason,

With the current version if is difficult to share entire configurations. I realize that this is a huge problem, since there is a sharp learning curve to pickup HouseBot.

In the next version (1.20), I have implemented a way to export and import portions of a configuration. This will allow me (or others) to share sample configurations (like the one you asked for) for common automation scenarios.

I have Just finished the work on 1.20 and hope to release it early next week.

Scott
grog

Post by grog »

Cool, sounds promising. Do you by any chance already have a sample setup for controlling CDJ that you'll be able to share once the new version is out?

Thanks,

Jason
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jason,

I haven't created one yet, but I'll be sure to make it one of my first. I plan on creating a few while the new version is testing this week.

I know the CDJ configuration is especially tricky to setup, so it should make a good sample.

Scott
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

I've started a theme for my wife that has a somewhat completed playlist panel that would be worth sharing I think.

It has playlist specific buttons she presses to to launch her favorite CDJ playlists. other buttons for play,stop,next, etc...

the playlist buttons execute dedicated playlist tasks.

Willl tasks be import/exportable in some way as wll as themes?

-Tom Nelson

ScottBot wrote:Jason,

With the current version if is difficult to share entire configurations. I realize that this is a huge problem, since there is a sharp learning curve to pickup HouseBot.

In the next version (1.20), I have implemented a way to export and import portions of a configuration. This will allow me (or others) to share sample configurations (like the one you asked for) for common automation scenarios.

I have Just finished the work on 1.20 and hope to release it early next week.

Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

You will be able to import/export:
  • Modes
    Devices
    Tasks
    Interfaces
    Software Remotes
    Remote Controls (indirectly)
    IR Codes (indirectly)
    Themes
    Additional Files
Anything that is exported must also include anything it references. That means if a Task references another Task, Mode, Device, etc. they will also need to be included. It gets to be a real pain, if you have a big configuration to export, but it needs to all be available on the target system.

The nice thing is that it also exports/imports the 'glue' between the Devices and Interfaces. That means all of the IR-to-property value associations come along too.

At some point, I'll probably provide an import file that gets installed (optinally) with the Slink-e Plugin that will do must of the dirty work for CDJ.

I've also just put together a simple sample for CDJ and I am working on some others. Tom, I'm sure yours will run circles around mine, since you ARE the CDJ guy. I'll provide links to any configurations that are sent to me.

Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Guys, I'm glad to hear all this dialogue about a CDJ emulator. I've been looking for some way of integrating the NIRVIS CDJ into a HB remote client, but never did see a way to make one fully functional but without CDJ's quirks. I look forward to see what you all are doing.
Steve