Font clipping

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
jasonb1

Font clipping

Post by jasonb1 »

Minor bug:

I'm using the "Impact" font which seems to be installed by default with Windows XP. When I use capital A as the first letter for some text in a button, for example "Aspect" size 20, it clips off part of the left side of the A for some reason.

I noticed that there is a negative left sidebearing on the A in this font when I open it in my font editing program.

- Jason
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jason,

I'm not seeing the same issue here. I have version 2.35 of the Impact font. What version are you using?

Are you seeing this in the Theme Editor, Software Remote, or Both?

Scott
jasonb1

Post by jasonb1 »

I have the 2.35 version as well. If I use no font smoothing or standard font smoothing, then the font looks pretty bad on screen in the sizes that I'm using (between 18 and 24 or so) especially the capitals. Much of my text uses all capitals. If I turn on ClearType in Windows XP, then the font looks much better, but then you get this clipping of A, X, and V and probably other characters with points on the edges. They apparently set the font up with these negative sidebearings so that they got the right visual effect when these characters are next to others without the points.

When I use WordPad as an example, I put in similarly sized Impact text, and you can see that part of the A is to the left of the flashing insertion point, but they manage to get the whole A included when the text is selected, and no clipping in either case. When I use Microsoft Word, the selection doesn't seem to include the area that would be clipped, but there is no clipping of the characters there either...

- Jason
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Now I see it!