Plug In Development

HouseBot Plugin Development Discussions.
MichaelK

Plug In Development

Post by MichaelK »

I'm interested in beginning to develop a plug in for various devices, and curios what resources you used, Scott, to accomplish this. This would mainly be for software apps on the computer (like your winamp driver)...and recommendations?
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

In fact, this may be a bit easier if I alter the Winamp plugin you already have to do what I need it to do, can ya post the files for that as well...not just the DLL :) Thanks!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Michael,

If you are just interested in writing 'Software' Plugins, you only need the Device SDK. You can download this from the web site. It contains all of the necessary documentation, classes, definitions, etc for creating Device Plugins. It also contains source code for a sample Plugin.

If you run into questions, just ask them here.

If you are willing to share your plugins for no charge, I'll be more than willing to send you the source for the WinAmp plugin.

Scott
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

Oh yes, this would be a learning experience for me, so of course, no charge. Yeah, If you could send me the work you've done for the winamp plugin, I can manipulate that. Thanks!
jasonb1

Post by jasonb1 »

I want to do a J. River Media Center plugin, and it would be a great time saver to start from the Winamp plugin as well. I will make the plugin available for free of course.

The tricky part is that this program has a tree type control for playlist management. I think I can get around that problem in HouseBot by having the plugin dump this tree to a temporary directory structure and use a directory control to select the playlist. Or, I could populate a listbox like so:

Foo:Bar

Foo:Baz

Foo:Chuck

Foo:Zoo:Baz

Roo:Bar

Roo:Zoo

Boo:Boo

What do you think about adding a tree control to the themes?

- Jason
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jason,

I'll email you a copy of the WinAmp source as well.

A tree control does make sense for what you are doing. I can see it on the todo list, but I can't see me doing it real soon. I'd suggest just getting it to work with a list control using the format you suggested and then changing it to use a tree control when available. The list control does support multiple columns, if that helps. I think I've posted the format for the multi-column data somewhere here in the forums. When you get to that point, I can help more.

Scott