Housebot exits unexpectedly in serial error situation

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
jasonb1

Housebot exits unexpectedly in serial error situation

Post by jasonb1 »

I don't have anything hooked to COM5 yet, so I get this error upon startup of HouseBot. For some reason COM4 doesn't give this error even though there is nothing hooked up to it yet either.

Nov 19 2003,09:56:41AM,Sony DSS,Error,"Unable to open COM Port [5]. Rc = Access is denied."

Nov 19 2003,09:56:41AM,Hardware Module,Error,"Error initializing hardware for module [C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Plugins\Interfaces\GenericSerial.dll]"

So, anyway, if I then try to change a property that is mapped to a serial command on this device, HouseBot exits immediately.

- Jason
jasonb1

Post by jasonb1 »

It turns out that I had Girder grabbing COM5 and that apparently is what was causing "access denied". I wasn't actually using that yet, so I was able to fix the problem by changing my Girder plugin to stop using COM5.

Perhaps a low priority future fix to fail gracefully in this situation would be in order... :D
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jason,

As you have found, the "Access Denied" errors generally mean that another application has opened the COM port first.

Can you look to see if there is a dump file in your \HouseBot\Dump directory? It may have information on the problem where you saw HouseBot disappearing. If there is, please send it to me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Scott
jasonb1

Post by jasonb1 »

A dump file is headed toward your inbox...