Panel Enter List does not execute task

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Panel Enter List does not execute task

Post by Circe640 »

Have created a task that checks to see if a device is in the right power state and the right input is selected. This task is enabled and set to manual. The task is setup on a panel enter list. I run the remote and go to that panel but nothing happens. When I look at the task, it shows that it has never executed. ????
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

It sounds like the condition(s) of the task are not met.

To pinpoint the problem, from the panel enter list run a task that would always execute (without any conditions), and see if it was executed. If the task was not executed, then the panel enter list does not work for some reason.

Also, run your original task manualy and see if was executed. If not, the conditions are not met.

HTH,

Yoram.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Problem is in task definition

Post by Circe640 »

I was trying to execute three conditional tests in a task. I took them aprt into three separate tasks and then used teh original task to execute the three new tasks. There is a problem in defining multiple tests in a task. If I specify a condition as opposed to an 'Else if' block, the system is creating an else if block where I want a simple 'IF' statement to start a new condition test.

In other words I want to create the following

If xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then

action.

If xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then

action

If xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then

action.

but the editor is creating the following

If xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then

action

ESLE if xxxxxxxxxx then

action

Else if xxxxxxxxxxx then

action

This is not logical when I have only used the 'Condition' button and the 'Action' button and never used the 'Else if' button. How do I create the required string of tests?
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Circe640,

Indeed, tasks are limited.

An alternative to using a Task would be to use a Script. You need to use VBScript. Look at the Help for more info.

HTH,

Yoram
Circe640
Advanced Member

Question on scripting

Post by Circe640 »

OK I can live with scripting (I think) but now have a question. I create a script device and it has two properties. One is the state which controls the running or not and the other is the script name.

I presume one would go to the property editor and use it to enter all of the script path and names for the values for this property.

In order to accomplish my goal as described above, the panel entry list would have to execute two tasks, one to set the script property value to the desired script and then another task that would set the state to running. (Easier to set the state to running in its own task for re-usability)
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

You can make the device dedicated to that script by giving the full path to the script in the 'Name of Script' property in the device itself.

In the script, you can take property values from HouseBot, so you don't need to use parameters.

If you dedicate the device to a script, I suggest that you name it properly.

If you need help with the script, email me with the details and I'll try to help.

BRG,

Yoram