Software Remotes are not functioning

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Software Remotes are not functioning

Post by Steve Horn »

Not sure what transpired, but now, after last night, none of my Software Remotes can connect to the HB server. And that includes two that are actually ON the server box. Further, the IP address of the HB server, 192.168.1.120, cannot be pinged from anywhere, but all connected and Wi-Fi devices function normally, including the HB server's ability to see the Internet. The HB server functionality seems to work fine - timed tasks are firing, and things can be "manually" controlled from within HB using tasks, device properties, etc. Just no outside human interaction. I've restarted the HB server box, HB itself, the router. Ive looked at the server's network settings, Its got me stumped. What am i missing?
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: Software Remotes are not functioning

Post by Steve Horn »

Fixed. I discovered that the issue was IP related - Could not Remote desktop to the HB server, so HB clearly was not the issue. I changed the HB server from static IP to DHCP, let the router assign an IP address. And RDP (and pinging) was restored. I will as time allows go back to static IP so all the SW Remotes don't have to be reconfigured with each IP reassignment (with Power interruptions, reboots, WinUpdates, etc.). But for now its working. (Its sad that I've become so reliant on HB to do stuff, from automation (lighting, whole house audio, window blind control,...). But the biggie here is the SW Remote functionality that reduces or eliminates the need for remote controllers. Not sure what that says about my state of mind. But it is what it is.)
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Glad you figured it out, since it would have been a challenge to debug remotely.
Not sure what that says about my state of mind. But it is what it is.)
Well... I think your mind is probably brighter than the average mind to have figured it out :wink:
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Whats perplexing is I dont know the answer to the root cause, aside from “Well, that’s Windows.”. Oddly, I had followed my own advice: ”When in doubt, reboot.”. And that had failed to correct the IP config settings. I had checked, obviously, the Static Ip, the subnet mask, and anything that IPCONFIG would tell me that I understood. All looked ok. But apparently, the PC was set for a parallel universe.
Steve