Win7 - to - Win10 migration

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Win7 - to - Win10 migration

Post by Steve Horn »

Due to MS withdrawing support for Win7 soon, I am planning on moving all the HB server duties to a new Win10 box. What is the best way to do this: Do a complete new install (i.e. download the latest and essentially start from scratch, albeit copying over the existing CONFIG and other sub directories). OR Copy the entire C:\Program Files\HOUSEBOT folder (and below) from existing box? (And either way, like they say "What could possibly go wrong?")
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Win7 - to - Win10 migration

Post by ScottBot »

If you're upgrading Windows 7 to 10 (same box), there shouldn't be a problem. If you are moving to a new one then you have a couple of different options. Either way, be sure to backup your existing configuration first (File / Backup Configuration).

The safest way is to install the same version you were using on the Win 7 machine and then copy over the entire HouseBot Config directory to the new machine. It *should* also be safe to just install the newest version on the new machine with an older config version.

You will lose all of the registry settings, but they are mostly minor and can be setup again. If you're wanting to really go hard-core, you can transfer the entire HKCU\Software\Cebotics tree to the new machine also.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks Scott; that helps. It’s a new virgin WIN10 box. May attempt the hard core install.
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Two errors w/HB Server install:
During the install: "Internal error: expression error 'Runtime error (at 2:261): Failed to register HBControlMod.dll"

Then, at initial and subsequent HBServer launch:
HBserverStart Error.png
HBserverStart Error.png (4.38 KiB) Viewed 16972 times
:(
update: After a PC reboot (for other reasons); HBServer launches OK. So, I guess, "Excuse the Ring" :oops:

Still may have an issue with the HBControlmod.dll msg.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Try launching HouseBot as admin to see if it resolves the HBControlMod error.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

That’s msg was during the installation, not launch. Subsequent HB launches have not yielded that msg. Haven’t pursued it further yet. Still need to do the more important CONFIG work.
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Just now getting back to this new box setup. Downloaded and installed OEM HB 3.52.04 and exported my current Cebotic... registry keys and merged them in the new box registry. HB delivered a message that indicated that it couldn't read the database. After several retries same result. So I reverted to a virgin install (After editing the registry to manually remove all Cebotics keys. (I thought it was odd that an uninstall of HB did not delete the registry entries, but whatever..). After the virgin install loaded and ran OK, I merged the production Registry entries one HKEY at a time, all 22. All except one allowed HB to run: "...\Housebot\General Settings". So I edited it and removed all keys that were not in the OEM version, leaving 5 keys. Modified the values of those 5 to agree with the OEM version and HB loads/runs OK. (BTW, all this before copying over the CONFIG stuff.) SO, something in that Hkey set doesn't agree with HB. Its attached. See anything offensive?
Attachments
HBK_5.doc
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Update: It doesn't like the property for the SQLite db name. I deleted only that property from the HBK_5 General settings reg sliver, merged it, and HB loads fine. And yet, that HK property resides happily on the production box. :?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Did you transfer the HKLM settings too?

For many of the registry settings, it will try and find them in HKCU. If not found, it will look for them in HKLM.

There might be a few spots where it looks one place only.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

HKLM too? Nope. Will do. Thx.
edit: Didnt find anything in HKLM that was Cebotics/HB specific.
Steve