HB 3.41 serial port identification

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

HB 3.41 serial port identification

Post by Steve Horn »

Scott, That change you made to the current release seems to improve on the assignment of serial ports in the hardware interface. The "labeling" seems to agree with what is seen in Win Device Manager. But... I just ran into an issue that may be peculiar enough to not have been accounted for in whatever you did. I have a "genuine" Arduino that when plugged into a USB port is identified by Windows in Device Manager as as "Arduino UNO", which it is. And that port number and literal also appears in HB. I just added a second Arduino, although this one is a generic non-genuine Arduino, specifically a Sparkfun Redboard, which is 100% compatible with the genuine Arduinos. When I plug it into the HB computer via USB it is assigned a port number and is labeled as a "USB Serial port". But when I tried to assign that port in HB that port is not listed in the dropdown. Another "Genuine" Arduino Uno (which is being replaced by this Redboard) was assigned COM10 without any assignment issues in HB. But Windows DM has the new board as COM9. which does not appear in HB. The quick solution was to reassign the port/device in Device Manager from COM9 to COM10. Now HB agrees with Windows and the device can be talked to by HB. The only thing that I know to be different between the "Genuine" Arduino Uno and the Redboard is the USB serial driver is FTDI. When I look at the Properties of the Arduino in Win DM, it shows that its driver/manufacturer is Arduino, which is correct. (If I recall correctly, the first Arduino added to the PC must install an Arduino-specific USB driver.) When I look at the properties of the Redboard, it shows the driver manufacturer as FTDI. I have no idea whether the fact that this device uses an FTDI driver affects how you/HB identifies ports available for assignment in the Hardware Interface.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: HB 3.41 serial port identification

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

There are several different ways to interrogate the com ports, so it's very possible that the method I chose might not cover every single platform. I recall sending you (or maybe someone else) a COM port test program that interrogated the system in multiple ways. If you have that, can you run it on the Arduinos and let me know the results? If you don't have it, I'll see if I can dig it up and send it to you.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: HB 3.41 serial port identification

Post by Steve Horn »

I should be able to find it. I'll get back to you...
Steve