Generic serial device - received data path

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: Generic serial device - received data path

Post by Steve Horn »

more info...
Disabling the hardware device interface in order to get into command configuration. Can change the RTS parm to Enabled. But by doing so, I get an error message:
Unable to open XML config file [C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Config\GenericSerialDefs\Alarm.hdf] to save changes.
The change apparently sticks, and I can enable the Hardware Device Interface (and data begins to flow). But if I reopen the command configuration the RTS parm will revert to Disabled even if I click Cancel. (Apparently, the parm (and I assume anything else in the hdf) is reverting to the content of the XML hdf file, which is not being updated by any changes to the command config.)
So, in the near term, I'll change the parm to Enabled, click OK (and get the error message), then NEVER OPEN THE COMMAND CONFIG AGAIN.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It sounds like your GenericSerialDefs directory security settings are wrong. Setup will configure everything under the Config directory to allow "Everyone" full control. You can either manually change the security settings back or maybe run HouseBot as admin.
Permissions.png
Permissions.png (107.05 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I found that the folder is marked Read only. Tried to change it but got an "Access Denied" msg for each file in the folder. However, it was configured for Everyone/Full Control. I was able to change the individual files on the folder to Everyone/Full control. And I verified that the error message no longer appears, and the XML file reflects the RTS change. So, for the time being, I should be ok. However, adding another generic serial device may cause the issue to come up again.
HB is running as Administrator now. Have no idea whether it was before. But I log onto Windows as Admin, so I assumed that programs were also run that way. Maybe not. :?
Steve