Calling Android remote users

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TonyG

Calling Android remote users

Post by TonyG »

Have just started on Android remote development, with a good solution in mind - combined passenger housebot display and kodi movie/media player(today using displaylink from the main PC and a separate media Dune player with an HDMI switch box that doesn't always work). Thinking of using a Minix Neo U1, but I'm not going to purchase unless I know the fonts will work.

POC using a nexus 7 and amazon fire stick are very promising - I'm impressed with the simplicity and responsiveness of the remote. The issue however is one of fonts. Neither device display the fonts I'm using in the PC derived theme. I've read various posts, and I can see the new version should install the fonts. Maybe there is something on the amazon firestick that prevents this, but I cannot understand why it shouldn't work on the nexus 7.

Two fonts I use are:
Segui UI - in light, regular, semi-bold and bold
Eurostile Candy W01 - regular and semi-bold

Do these fonts work on your Android?
I would love to know if they should work - I'm using HB 3.31 - and if anyone could confirm they work on their android devices that would be ideal! I have attached an example of each font.
Attachments
fonts.zip
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
TonyG

Re: Calling Android remote users

Post by TonyG »

I've purchased a "trial box" - an Amlogic S905 based "MXQ Pro" 4K Android box. About £24, so nothing to lose..

Good news first - Housebot installs fast and runs well on this device. Impressed.

Actions to date
No luck on the two fonts I normally use, Segoe UI and Eurostile Candy W01.

The installed Housebot folder (data>data>com.cebotics.housebot.softwareremote>files>config>themes>fonts) contains arial.ttf and 4 Segoe UI fonts. So, the Segoe fonts have installed from running Housebot remote, although not working. Note, Eurostile Candy fonts haven't downloaded from using the software remote at all.

I've rooted the device, and have installed the .ttf fonts I need by copy and paste in the main Android fonts folder.

I'm new to Android, and that's as far as I can go for now.

Any ideas folks??
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Fonts on Android have been a challenge. Some fonts just aren't supported. Even though the remote can download them from the server, they really aren't supported. There also some special logic that I implemented on the android remote end to try and make font handling more consistent with the windows remotes that could probably use some work.

I've been super busy lately, but will try and check out your font issue soon.
Scott
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Scott,

Android fonts do certainly appear to be a black-art on further research.

I've proven Android will actually use Eurostile Candy W01, by renaming it to use Roboto-Black.ttf - so, a well used substitution workaround. Messy though!

Tony
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

TonyG wrote:I've proven Android will actually use Eurostile Candy W01, by renaming it to use Roboto-Black.ttf - so, a well used substitution workaround. Messy though!
That's an interesting work-around. It almost sounds like Android has hard-coded font type logic.
Scott
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

It may not be as straightforward as hoped. The system has reverted to using stock Android fonts - regardless of my renaming. Obvious missing something, and will continue my research...

----- UPDATE------

Have decided not to fight the system, so to speak. Will live with Android fonts. Sometimes, life is too short...