Software remote hardware

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Software remote hardware

Post by Steve Horn »

I'm thinking of adding an additional software remote location, requiring (obviously) some type of windows-based device. My ideal hardware setup would be a touchscreen (800x600 is sufficient) pc/tablet/monitor-w/small PC. My current SW remotes are running on old Fujitsu 1st gen tablets running Win2k. But I'm open to suggestions. Screen size: 5-6" diag to maybe 10". Wifi or (ideally) Ethernet hard wired port. Just read an article in USA Today on the Intel Compute Stick, which when added to a used (EBay) touch screen monitor might work. Would be an interesting, albeit somewhat costly, experiment. Also just read Scott's post on the Android SW remote app. Interesting - I need to look into that too, but would not be practical where I'm planning on adding the SW remote. But I'm interested in hearing your ideas.
Steve
edgar

Re: Software remote hardware

Post by edgar »

Hey Steve,

Why would you not go with an inexpensive Android tablet and use Scott's Android remote? It works great from what I have worked with so far! I am running the SW remote for Android on my phone (Galaxy 5S) and it is working very well. I don't know if all the features of the remote are supported...like playing a local sound file (have not tried it). Right now I use a USB monitor solution and that works well but I plan to shift to Android tablets..they are so cheap and easy to manage in comparison to a windows machine that just needs to function as a SW remote.

v/r

Kevin
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: Software remote hardware

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the kind of input I was looking for. Until I checked the forum and created that post I didn't know of Scott's Androind SW enhancement. Haven't been here in awhile.
Steve