Erratic Indicator controls on pop-up panel

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Erratic Indicator controls on pop-up panel

Post by Steve Horn »

Noticed this recently. I have a pop-up panel that I use to select speaker zones. A button control for each zone changes a property to ultimately turn a relay on/off. Associated with each button control is an indicator control that is keyed on the property of the device that does the switching. Anyway... the indicators on the popup sometimes/mostly do not react to the state of the property they are tied to. I copied that same indicators to a primary non pop-up type panel and the indicators work/indicate as they should. The pop-up stays up for 20 seconds, is closed by a timer. That time is more than enough for the indicator to react to the change of state of the property its watching. Anyone else encountered this? Not fatal, but irritating, in that you think the indicator should "light" when the button control is pushed (and that speaker zone is actually turned on). But not always, not reliably.
Steve
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: Erratic Indicator controls on pop-up panel

Post by Richard Naninck »

Never seen this while I do in fact have lots of popup panels with indicators and main panels with indicators.
Can you confirm that the states change while looking at the properties in the HB Server window and at the same time the indicator does not change? If that is the case, your SWRemote is not responding like it should.
Is the SWRemote running on the server PC or on a remote PC?
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

The actual device property and value changes, resulting in the relay on the GPIO card operating. The indicators on the main/primary panel track the property well, as far as I can tell. The indicators on the popup panels do not. Some will respond, some not. But no pattern, I.e. not defective code on the pop up's control(s). The primary panels indicators (put there for testing/debugging this issue) were copied directly from the popup panel. This was experienced on several SWremotes, not on the actual HB SERVER. Disclosure: these SWremotes are older win2k tablets. I need to check how later vintage pc(s) w/SWremotes running behave.... Just checked one PC via RDP - also an issue there.

How Long do your pop ups stay popped up? Mine is up 20 sec. I tried looking at it again, re popping up, to see if the indicator was "refreshed". No difference. Are your indicators device/properties relatively static, or are they reflective of what's being controlled via buttons on that popup? (Looking for patterns here :). The only popup I have that has indicators on it those indicators are "controlled" via device/property changes via button controls on that popup panel.

(An aside: I need to run something by you re serial comm from an Elk M1. But one thing at a time...)

How many HB user we have left? Two?
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Also just noticed that when the popup panel first pops up, the indicators are "lit" appropriately, based on the state of their monitored device/properties. But after less than half second they "turn off". Once the panel closes and I reopen it the same thing happens - lit for fraction then off. Will build a temporary popup panel tonight and add some of these indicators to it to see if it's panel code specific or more universal.
Steve
Richard Naninck

Steve,

http://cebotics.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ng#p443840

Do you have more than 29 status properties displayed on that panel? I have seen that issue in 2006 and Scott could never reproduce it. After I bought faster hardware, the issue did not surface anymore. So newer hardware may correct your problem.

HB is stil the heart of my system and will stay there for many years to come. It is more important now than ever and I wrote a Windows Phone App to control and indicate most of my domotica. Awaiting the Windows Smartwatch so I can start using geofencing and voicecontrol to make it really nice :D
Richard Naninck

Status on this one?
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

You're right. I need to get back to this one. An additional wrinkle. I noticed that a multistate button control I'm using to toggle a property on a device that controls a relay on/off seems to be slower or non functional than if I create a task to turn the relay on/off and use a button control to kick off the task. Need to work on that some more too. I created one test task to do the above and it seemed to work more reliably than the multistate button. Want to replace the rest of the multistates (same popup panel) with task triggering buttons then live with it awhile.
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

After replacing the remaining multistate button controls on the popup panelwith task triggering button controls, and creating the associated tasks to do the device property toggling (if on turn it off; if off turn it on), that seems to have corrected the indicator intermittency issue. Can't explain it, but it works. Go figure.
Steve
Richard Naninck

Some things you don't want to explain :D
If the workaround seems to work... I would let it be.
There is still a problem with Delays in Tasks and slow computers don't help either. Also multithreading was a big problem that single core ops resolved.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Agreed. (I still need to post regarding an issue with my Elk M1 and HB receiving its data feed. But I need to do a little more legwork first.)
Thanks!
Steve