Best watchdog service

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
chris_birkinshaw

Best watchdog service

Post by chris_birkinshaw »

Hi there,

What is the best program to use for monitoring Housebot and restarting it when it crashes? Preferably low cost.

Regards,

Chris
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: Best watchdog service

Post by Richard Naninck »

A simple DOS script: (Store a shortcut to the script (.bat) in your startup folder and it autostarts HB after boot + restarts HB after crash. Eventually HB should become a service so Windows service could handle this. It is feature requested. The downside of the option below is that it shows an annoying minimized program in the programbar.

Btw: My HouseBot doesn't crash at all :D

Code: Select all

Echo off 
:Start 
Echo Server has Started At: %Date% %Time% 
"C:\Program Files\HouseBot\HouseBotServer.exe"
Echo Server has Terminated At: %Date% %Time% 
goto Start
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Other Script options here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=856341&hilit=restart

Terry
chris_birkinshaw

Post by chris_birkinshaw »

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately though whenever it crashes I have to press Ok on the windows notification before it will close and reopen again. I disabled crash notification, but all that did was remove the option to send the report to microsoft, not disable the notification altogether. Is there some other setting somewhere?

Thanks,

Chris
Richard Naninck

I also disabled (in System - Advanced - ) the error notification for HouseBot and my system doesn't notify me of any HB errors anymore. Dig a little bit further because that option should work (XP Pro)
Richard Naninck

Finally after all these years HouseBot restarts have become stable :D

Sometimes after a BSOD or whatever reason that kills HouseBot unclean, the HB Database may corrupt. Nothing MS Access can't handle but it has Always been a manual action. I have had some broken memory strip which caused many BSOD's before I figured out what caused it and HB just didn't auto start all the times because the dbase got corrupted. Therefore I came up with an extra script line. Obviously this only works if MS Access is installed. Just before HB starts, the dbase gets fixed and if it wasn't broken, it gets vacumed hence restoring the size to a minimum.

Echo off
:Start
Echo Server has Started At: %Date% %Time%
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Program Files\Meedio\Meedio HouseBot\Config\HBData.mdb" /Compact
"C:\Program Files\Meedio\Meedio HouseBot\HouseBotServer.exe"
Echo Server has Terminated At: %Date% %Time%
goto Start