Trying to restore from backup, Jet error

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
markd
Advanced Member

Trying to restore from backup, Jet error

Post by markd »

Hello-

My system had an unscheduled shutdown, and on reboot, the database was corrupted. No problem, I pulled out the backup, bit it won't load either- I get this error, right after it loads the Z-wave devices-

The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

Then I get an abnormal program termination from HB, and it's gone.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Markd

edit- no log entries, and no dump file.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: Trying to restore from backup, Jet error

Post by Steve Horn »

No expert here, but it reads like the HBDATA.MDB file is locked in essentially a read-only mode, which HB obviously cannot deal with. Can you open that file with MS ACCESS outside of HB? If so, try to change something - pick something you can easily undo after you save and close. Maybe doing that will safely restore the db so that HB can then open it.
Also (again, no expert here), look in task manager to see if either HB is running, or something else (?) that could have seized the HBDATA back end.

Since your post is old, I suspect you've fixed it by now. I hope so. Anyway, sorry no one else offered any advice.
Steve
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

I actually JUST got is going last night.
It wasn't the file itself that was locked- I was able to open it with MDBViewerPLUS, which Is what I have used in the past to mess with it.

But as I tried to look at the records, when I got to the DevicePropertyMap, I got a "Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status", and I was unable to do a Compact and Repair...

So I went and downloaded MS Access 60 day trial... after fighting with the download for a while (no, I don't live in Pakistan- really, I don't!) I was able to get it installed and use it to open my mdb. Which it did with no drama, and I was able to browse whatever I wanted, no issues! I ran a compact and repair, and my database went from 250k to 16k, and the problem is gone... HB runs, and I've put my latest changes back in and run a fresh backup.

Whew! For a little while there I thought I was going to have to rebuild everything from scratch... which means I would have had to go out and see if HB was still the SW for me. Now I don't have to worry about it!

Thanks for trying to help!

Markd
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Interesting. I wonder what caused the lock-up initially. Glad it's fixed though.

That reminds me... I should probably look at compacting my MDB file too.
Steve