webRemote/Housebot WebServer - March Release

HouseBot Plugin Development Discussions.
Timoh
Advanced Member

Re: webRemote/Housebot WebServer - March Release

Post by Timoh »

Hi Steve,
I scrapped it about a month ago. :( There's a post in the general forum.

I should not have used the the project as learning for JS and a (re)learning for C++.

In nutshell, two things happened... 1) Making it cross-browser compatible was turning out to be a huge headache. and 2) I clued in the architecture was completely wrong. Instead of trying to work with existing themes, I should have leveraged an existing html theme editor. The "design once, view anywhere" approach was not going to work. And would have been perpetually flaky... unstable.

Re refresh rate, 36s was purely arbitrary. It will depend on how many different properties you have in your theme. The theme will pull all properties in the theme on every request, so if you have lots, it will take longer. With my simple testing theme, I could run it at about .5s refresh rate no problems. It will also depend on your network speed. Local box, <2s is probably ok, on your local network, <5s is probably very safe, on a wan/internet/mobile, >5s. CPU power will make a difference too... ie: How fast your box can execute the javascript. There are too many variables to give a recommended time.

I am kicking the tires on another architecture, another approach... pure html5, cross browser compatible out of the box... But I don't know if anything will come of it.

Tim
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: webRemote/Housebot WebServer - March Release

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks; I missed the "never mind " post. But I understand the frustration you encountered. I guess it sounded like a good idea at the time...

I was using RDp with an iPad at Christmas - son's gift iPad that I was"testing" :D - and it worked quite well. I haven't found an equivalent android smartphone app yet that can handle the screen resolution, aspect ratio and other gui-related factors as well as the iPad/HB experience. But I'll continue looking. Thanks for all your work on the webserver plug-in.
Steve