PocketPC

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jacco van der Ven

PocketPC

Post by jacco van der Ven »

I installed the SWremote on an Dell X3i Pocket PC, the theme that I made is working well, I changed the settings of te Pocket
so the screen is always on.
After a while the property's don't refresh anymore, I have to push a button ( theme button ) and then the theme is responding again.

What is wrong? How can I solved this problem, I made also a script that change the panel every 5 minutes, but also that is not working.

Jacco
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Re: PocketPC

Post by yaccri »

Is it a multi-state button that does not refresh?
There's just that bug with the multi-state button.
A workaround is to use a push button and an indicator instead.
I also noticed that this happens more frequently when using a low power cpu.
jacco van der Ven

No I have only a panel change button, the system time property is on the theme, and that is not refresh, the time is standing still, I change panel and then it is running again.
This behavior is only on the pocketpc not on an normal pc.

EDIT: I saw that is also on an tablet PC running Windows XP

Jacco
Last edited by jacco van der Ven on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallebalboa

Post by wallebalboa »

I have the same problem (even with wifi connected PCs) i have asked for acouple enhancemenst that could help this...

1. some indication in SWremote that it have lost contact and shown data is not updated... some local "watchdog" ( this will help when HB stops too , not only showing bad net problems...) (suggested grey out screen/crossed screen ...)
2. possibility to access the list of connected SWremotes and theire status as properties or thru scripts... (this will give HB possibilities to act or annonce if any remote have lost contact... as an extra this will give possibilities to act when remotes connect or disconnect, log connections etc..

of course a reconnect or better hanschake would be nice but i would like to see if my HBserver crashes too...

i have today a time on each screen to see if it updates... but its really bad when it start to show "old" time... i get late to meetings ;-)
i have few loss of contact on "hardwired" remotes...
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I had this problem a long time ago using my old hardware whenever a panel held more than 30 properties displaying status. The remote didn't actually go to sleep or something but status didn't get updated. We never could figure out why this happened because it could not be reproduced on onther machines. Changing hardware fixed it and the problem didn't get addressed anymore. In short, I believe a slow network connection with too many things going on at the same time could have caused this. Then again, we never figured it out.

You can see if a remote is sleeping or not by simply selecting the Software Remote menu in the left pane of the HB server. It displays Active Software Remotes.
wallebalboa

Post by wallebalboa »

loosing contact with HB is most likely a HW/WiFi/connectingfromanotherpartoftheworld problem.... not showing loss of contact in any way is a SWremote problem... it has been on the enhancement request list for years now and i think its a fatal problem... i have 5 (and growing) screens around the house and a couple of handhelds running WM.. i really get annoyed when they show wrong data and just by clicking any of the buttons a couple of times they reconnect and update...

the list showing connected remotes is great if you are at the HB screen... if not, its not of any use... if the remote status would be available for tasks or scripts HB could act on it or announce loss of contact...
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

wallebalboa wrote:... if the remote status would be available for tasks or scripts HB could act on it or announce loss of contact...
Great idea!
Steve
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Scott,

This should be a call for YOUR help.
In the past, I've reported this issue directly to you.
Since nobody else mentioned it in the forums, it was neglected.
Now that more users report this issue, which is most annoying in my view, maybe you can look at it again.
jacco van der Ven

Richard Naninck wrote:
You can see if a remote is sleeping or not by simply selecting the Software Remote menu in the left pane of the HB server. It displays Active Software Remotes.
Yes it is sleeping ( not an Active Remote ), when I press an change panel button then it awake and it is working.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

yaccri wrote:Scott,

Now that more users report this issue, which is most annoying in my view, maybe you can look at it again.
I recall trying to duplicate this problem both with and without your configuration. I came to the conclusion that it must be timing related on the remote device. It would be nice if I could duplicate the issue.

I'm thinking Jacco's problem might be more of a connectivity issue.
Scott
jacco van der Ven

ScottBot wrote:
yaccri wrote:Scott,

I recall trying to duplicate this problem both with and without your configuration. I came to the conclusion that it must be timing related on the remote device. It would be nice if I could duplicate the issue.

I'm thinking Jacco's problem might be more of a connectivity issue.
I am pretty sure that it isn't an connection problem but I will check this, maybe I can run an continu ping too the pocket pc to check it.
I only see this on an pocket pc I never seen it on a softRemote PC
jacco van der Ven

In the "Active Software Remotes" window the state is "Sleeping" but I can ping the device so it isn't an network problem I guess.