Somewhat OT: Online music search sources

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Somewhat OT: Online music search sources

Post by Steve Horn »

I'm looking for an online database, like CDDB or Freedb, that I can use to get track lists for vinyl albums I already have, to build a local database/library. The software I've seen, used, or looked at is more intended at building the database after you've ripped the vinyl or CD to an MP3 or whatever file. At this point, all I'm interested in is getting the track list info and skipping the recording/ripping step. CDDB used to be searchable but I can no longer find that capability. Amazon is sort of functional but their data is limited to what they sell or broker, and the resulting track list is not easily downloadable. Freedb is not online searchable. You need the rip step via freedb-aware software. Suggestions?
How this ties into HB is that the jukebox script that I use would then be modified to display the media type (MP3, vinyl...). It would not play the vinyl (obviously, unless I choose to rip it at some point), but at least the album and tracks would be in the database (i.e. I'd know I had it and could plop it on the turntable.)
Steve