Housebot not working on WHS 2011

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
zion_uk

Housebot not working on WHS 2011

Post by zion_uk »

Hi all,

I've got an HP Proliant Microserver (Dual core 1.3ghz, 4GB RAM) running Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit.

I installed housebot (I used the "troubleshoot compatability" option first before installing) but it won't start up. The process appears briefly in Task Manager but then dissapears. No windows are displayed. I've tried using the troubleshoot compatability option again for running it, and also "run as administrator" - nothing seems to make any difference.

Can anyone recommend anything I might try to start it up?

Thanks,

Z.
menesi

Re: Housebot not working on WHS 2011

Post by menesi »

I got the same error @HP Proliant Microserver, 8GB, WHS 2011 :-(
Laszlo Menesi
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Check to see if there are any files in the \HouseBot\dump directory. If there are, send the latest to me at support at housebot.com
Scott
menesi

Post by menesi »

ScottBot wrote:Check to see if there are any files in the \HouseBot\dump directory. If there are, send the latest to me at support at housebot.com
I checked it, but there is no file int the Program Files (x86)\HouseBot\dump directory. The new entry in the windows event log is the same that mentioned here: http://www.cebotics.com/forums/viewtopi ... 1&t=856974
Laszlo Menesi
zion_uk

Post by zion_uk »

menesi wrote:
ScottBot wrote:Check to see if there are any files in the \HouseBot\dump directory. If there are, send the latest to me at support at housebot.com
I checked it, but there is no file int the Program Files (x86)\HouseBot\dump directory. The new entry in the windows event log is the same that mentioned here: http://www.cebotics.com/forums/viewtopi ... 1&t=856974
Hi,

I will check mine. But is it because WHS 2011 is 64-bit?

Regards.

Z.
menesi

Post by menesi »

zion_uk wrote:Hi,

I will check mine. But is it because WHS 2011 is 64-bit?

Regards.

Z.
Probably this is the problem, but I think there must be some kind of solution...
Laszlo Menesi
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

This brings up question... The system Requirements portion of the HB server section list a fairly generic list of needs:
-Microsoft Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP (Home, Pro, or MCE)
-200 MHz CPU
-128 MB RAM
-15 MB hard drive space

Maybe this should be changed to reflect 32 and/or 64 bits OS?, The various newer versions of Windows (Vista, 7) in all their flavors. The above list is, I know, a 'minimum' requirements. But maybe should be expanded to list what works best, borderline, or maybe not at all.

Reason I suggest this is that I may swap out the long-in-the-tooth hardware for my HB server with something more current. So what to avoid? 64 bit? WHS?
Steve
menesi

Post by menesi »

Steve Horn wrote:Reason I suggest this is that I may swap out the long-in-the-tooth hardware for my HB server with something more current. So what to avoid? 64 bit? WHS?
Any comment, or solution to the problem of the topic? Scott?
Laszlo Menesi
menesi

Post by menesi »

No comment, no solution :(

As Steve Horn wrote, in the system requirements portion of the HouseBot, only the Remotes section list contains restrictions of 64-bit editions of Windows, the Server section not.
In contrast, the experience is that HB server is not running on WHS 2011 (this is an 64-bit Windows), but my Software remote is running on my 64-bit Windows 7...
Laszlo Menesi
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I'd like to start a thread - or maybe this is it - that users can report what version(s) of Windows (or other OS) they are successfully using for the HB server and the SW Remote.
I'm using Win XP SP3 for HB Server, Win98, Win2k for SW remotes with no OS related issues.

I'd like to hear from those that are using Win7 and what versions (Home, Pro,Ult) and 32 vs 64 bit. And if you are or have to run HB in XP mode.
Pls excuse if this is addressed in another thread; I did not search, because I was lazy... and I hate the miserable search tool on this board.
Steve
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Win2k for remotes and server. (yes, old school ;-))
menesi

Post by menesi »

Scott wrote to me:
It’s possible that there could be something related to the 64-bit machine, but I have run HouseBot on a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 without a problem. One thing to try to try and run HouseBot in a compatibility mode with an older OS.

It may also be a speed/CPU issue, so if you can figure out how to set the processor affinity for HouseBot, you may want to limit it to a single CPU.
Laszlo Menesi
menesi

Post by menesi »

Could it be the solution to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) - vcredist_x86.exe - on this 64bit OS? What is your opinion? (Now I haven't got a computer like this.)
Laszlo Menesi
zenav

Post by zenav »

For those tech savvy, add the Housebot executable to the WHS 2011 DEP exception list; has been running and stable for a couple of weeks here.

For step-by-step:

Go to Control Panel -> System...
'Advanced system settings' on left hand side, then the Advanced tab
Click 'Settings...' under the Performance section, then the Data Execution Prevention tab
Click 'Add...' and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Housebot and double-click on the HouseBotServer file, and then Apply/OK back through the boxes

Hope that does the job for the rest of you,

JB.
menesi

Post by menesi »

It works!! Thank you zenav :D
Laszlo Menesi