1 wire xAP / DS9097U Help, updated 11-2-10

Simple advice that you may find useful. Feel free to discuss or add your own.
jayme56

1 wire xAP / DS9097U Help, updated 11-2-10

Post by jayme56 »

My story, sad but true.
I case anyone wants to get the 1 wire network going, I think this may help. I have been picking away at it for 6 nights now and finally got it running.
Running XP Pro SP3, 1 Wire Adaptor = DS9097U-009 connected to COM1, DS1822 Temperature Sensors
Gather the following:

Microsoft .NET 2 or higher, install it
Microsoft Visual J# Redistributable, install it.
Maxim/Dallas 1 wire drivers for Windows V4.00 (Had trouble with 4.03 Beta)
Install 1 wire drivers, deselect the COM object when asked. A dialog will ask for your adaptor and port number, make sure it is attached to the port now.
Download xapmcs1wire @ http://mcssprinklers.com/xapmcs1WireNet.zip (should be 536Kb File)
Copy the zip exe to C:\xAP (create folder). Run to extract files.

Now you can try running the xapmcs1wire.exe.
It is slow starting, but an icon should appear in the tray. Double clicking it should get you to the setup page (http:\localhost:8014\status)
After installing xAPHousebot plugin (and paying edward $10 bucks please, He did an excellect job with this) Start housebot and verify that you have an xAP listing for hardware interface. In properties I selected auto populate devices. Be patient and you should see the 1 wire devices being added.
If all worked out you now have a 1 wire network! I still have many things to work out, but it should be more fun than my first round!
There are many Versions of mcs1wire out there, and no real documentation that I could dig up. I am unsure what devices it handles. I saw the DS9490R USB adaptor mentioned in my searching. If you find some more information, please let me know!
Thanks and
Good Luck.
Jayme
Last edited by jayme56 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: 1 wire xAP / DS9097U Help

Post by Richard Naninck »

Don't know much about one wire, but would buying an RFXCom module do the trick? It reads one wire sensors and is interfaced with HouseBot already.
jayme56

Post by jayme56 »

I am not familiar with the RFXComm, I have had the DS9097 setup for a while. Used it with another home automation product with Mr. McSharry's software. I prefer HouseBot though. It is as stable as a rock!
One more note for the help. When I created a folder C:\xAP\ and put the onewire contents there the web page fully populated with devices.
Jayme
Last edited by jayme56 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edgar

Post by edgar »

Jayne,

Great info on the 1-wire. Is your interface a RS232 or USB? If I may ask, what are your plans for your 1 wire network? I have only a RS232 interface and a single temp ibutton from a few years back. I never really did get that far with it but like the possibilities. RFXComm is attractive as well but appears to be a little more expensive to implement but it may be worth it since you don't have to run wires. My goal is to have temp sensors in each room of the house.

I would also solicit your input of the RFXComm Richard.

Thanks much

Kevin
jayme56

Re: 1 wire xAP / DS9097U Help, updated 11-2-10

Post by jayme56 »

Your old iButton and 232 adaptor will likely work in this scheme. The xAP concept is pretty cool! I have Temp sensors around the house, in the garage, and outside (sheltered under the covered porch). Two are Temp/humidity sensors using the DS2438 with the Honeywell Humidity device (pricey when I got them). There is quite a variety of 1 wire devices available from Maxim/Dallas now.
It's about the time of year to spend time tinkering in the basement again!
Woo Hoo!
NW27

Re: 1 wire xAP / DS9097U Help, updated 11-2-10

Post by NW27 »

Hi All,

This is now my second post to this site. I'm yet to download HB but I thought I would share my 1wire experience.
I have a DS9097U-9 connected to my HA PC via a standard serial port.
I have 12 I/O devices and 2 temperature devices on this network. It also has receptacles for the ibutton fobs. (Similar to RFID)
The I/O device inputs for such things as push buttons, PIR movement sensors etc
The I/O outputs control things such as room lighting, pond & pool pumps, electronic door latches etc.
These are all connected together using one run of CAT5 cable. This is daisy changed from one device to the next.
The cable has the 1wire signal, 0V and 12VDC. The last pair is for RS485.
Where it goes to things such as PIR's, I have a small board inside the PIR enclosure with a DS2406 (1wire single I/O).
Where it goes to the light in the bathroom, this has it's own small enclosure with a DS2406 (dual I/O) The output drives the light and the input is the signal back from the PIR.
These are all small boards I have made myself.

So basically what I'm saying, is that 1wire can be used for lot's of things and can be polled quite quickly for use on things like the PIR movement sensor, picking up movement and then then HA PC turning on the appropriate output.

Neil.