ARDUINO I/O cards

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dominicv

ARDUINO I/O cards

Post by dominicv »

Good afternoon Folks,

I ordered some parts from Robotshop, the other day, sensors and stuff.

This is when I came across ARDUINO I/O cards.

Anyone out there using these I/O cards.

Thanks

Dom
raptor_demon

Re: ARDUINO I/O cards

Post by raptor_demon »

I am hoping the wife will buy me one for xmas, if not i will buy one anyway....

Anyone else have any experince here?

Raptor
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

This is an old thread, and one that got somewhat off the tracks, but whatever...
Has anyone actually integrated an Arduino micro-controller (i.e. UNO, NANO, or other) with HB? I've ordered an UNO and plan (such as it is) to integrate it with HB via its USB serial port. From the reading on the Arduino side, it doesn't appear to be too difficult once the appropriate library(ies) are included. What's interesting is that, in contrast to other serial interfaces (AV rcvr, projector, Elk,...) where the device's protocol (command language) is known, with Arduino, you get to develop that on the Arduino side based on what you're using the Arduino for. Then create the appropriate hardware interface (presumably generic serial port) on the HB side. But I may be off base here. Am I off base here? Any HB-Arduino wizards out there?
Steve
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Hey Steve, I don't use the Arduino (at least not in Home Auto yet) but I have used a couple of the CAI Web control boards with HB that work really well. They're ethernet based rather than USB which allows me more freedom in their placement.

The company link is: http://www.redhillnetworks.com/products ... l-faq.html
And I usual get them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H4JXLU

They're around $35 USD. I have the older version where you basically scrape a webpage to get/put settings. The newer versions have a 'PLC' firmware option that allows greater customization I believe but the old version has ran my irrigation and greenhouse (until the recent tornadoes caused a tree to slice through it) for about two years now with zero problems.

Terry
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Terry, interesting; another tool to put in the toolbox. :D
Steve
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

I use Arduino for other things, and yes, Steve you have the right idea. You write your own rs232 protocol on the arduino, tie it into a generic serial and away you go!

There are lots of libraries & examples for receiving & parsing strings from the arduinio rs232/usb port.

They are very nice little inexpensive flexible units.

Tim
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

One (UNO) is on the way, along with a motor/servo/stepper shield kit... and a book.
Steve