Strange SWRemote Behavior

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Strange SWRemote Behavior

Post by Osler »

Has anyone had an swremote startup and only show labels and maybe a few buttons, with the desktop visible in the background? This is happening intermittently on my eeeTop and I can't seem to track down what precisely the problem is. The swremote connects to the server and shows up as in session. I have done a trace and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Anyone?

Osler
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: Strange SWRemote Behavior

Post by Richard Naninck »

happens to me when editing the remote without killing it first. Lack of display memory. Has your theme grown bigger?
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Yes it has. I did a little experiment last night after I posted. A smaller version of the theme loads without problems. This appears to only happen with the current monstosity I have created. This may be why I also got a nearly black image when I tried printscreen to try to post a picture of what I was seeing. The intersting thing is that the one and only pop-up I have displays just fine even when the remote is in this state.

Osler
Richard Naninck

Try to decrease the colordepth of backgrounds. My XGA background fell back from 20KB to 1KB after saving to png8 with 8 colors and it saved me 50MB in memory after loading the theme without sacrifising the actual looks.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Yes, good call. I changed most of my PNG-24 images to PNG-8 (256 color, with transparency) using pngquant (theme folder: 315 kb to 174 kb) and this seems to have solved the problem. Henceforth, I will only make PNG-8 images and allow HouseBot to make the transparecy settings.

Osler
Richard Naninck

I still use transparancy in the png's and it would mean lots of work to revert to HouseBot transparancy. However it seems like a good idea.
Sometimes when I press a button located on a less than true color bitplane background, the button remains the downstate and doesn't come back to the upstate. Switching panels sometimes clears this behaviour. This started happening after I fell back to lesser bitplanes on backgrounds. I can fix this problem by either upping the bitplanes again OR move the panel in the the theme xml file to another location. That means that it matters where in memory a panel is loaded.

Another thing that differs in memory is this: (look at some of my screenshots to see an example). I use backgrounds to group properties and buttons in my theme. It is always the same background image resized to the correct width and height. After scaling this background image from 100x100 to 5x5 pixels, another 30MB was saved in my theme.

My complete theme takes 360MB of memory and although the theme expanded a lot over the last year, the memory stayed the same because of all those tweaks. I am however pressing the limits.

Another thing is that while displaying many changing properties like indicators, alpahlists etc, the used memory grows. It expands the database as talked about in another thread, it slows down the swremote dramatically (also talked about in another thread but never understood why this happens) and HouseBot itself uses / leaks memory over time. This has to do with garbadge control. I have setup a task that reloads my theme every day at 5 AM to keep the memory down a bit and the speed up. I also use an own built themepanel screensaver with only a clock to keep the amount of chaning properties down since that slows the swremote.

There are still many things to test so HB could become even better. I will search for a way to setup a test theme which sown the slowdown I have been writing about. I guess all of these things are connected and become pronounced only after pressing the limits like I do with over 60 theme panels.