Z wave device errors

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
chris_birkinshaw

Z wave device errors

Post by chris_birkinshaw »

Hi there,

I am using housebot with the TrickleStar USB zwave dongle. I am able to reliably turn on and off lights using homeseer ZTool, but housebot is not proving to be very reliable.

Following a restart of the housebot app I can usually trigger a few scenes successfully, however after that zwave functionality stops working. Strangely, just before failure scenes are sometimes executed correctly but housebot says they were not.

I have noticed this in my logs repeated many times:

Z Wave Error WaitCommEvent() Error = 5
Z Wave Error WriteFile()

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: Also I am unable to view associations (this times out) but I can set them - which seems odd
lostdreamer

Re: Z wave device errors

Post by lostdreamer »

The waitcommevent error looks like the USB gets disconnected.
Are you sure there is no OS (driver) problem or anything else at that time?

LostDreamer
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

That message looks suspiciously similar to one I was getting when I was using a 2 serial port USB/RS232 dongle. I replaced it with genuine RS232 COM ports - a 4 port serial card. No problems yet. Can you try talking to Zwave via standard RS232 serial in some way? Or as Lostdreamer suggests, maybe update the drivers for the USB dongle you're using. What I found with my problem was that it SEEMED to occur after a Windows auto-update and rebooting the server PC "re-established" the ports associated with the USB dongle.
Steve
chris_birkinshaw

Post by chris_birkinshaw »

lostdreamer wrote:The waitcommevent error looks like the USB gets disconnected.
Are you sure there is no OS (driver) problem or anything else at that time?

LostDreamer
This was using VMWare so I think you could be right! Getting one of those Silex USB 2.0 over gigabit ethernet device servers and will see if that helps.

Many thanks for the tips,

Chris