iPhone control - Is housebot not for me??

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
bailers

iPhone control - Is housebot not for me??

Post by bailers »

Hi All!

This is my first post and I must warn you I am complete newbie!

I have started getting into home automation, I have a number of homeeasy and byebyestandby devices which i control using an RFXcom LAN transmitter and an iphone app called iAutom8. However I feel its time to get a little more involved and after looking at Homeseer, Girder, Xpl and Housebot, I have decided I like the look of Housebot the most. I have managed to get my RFXcom transmitter working with Housebot which is great.
What I would like to do is set up my iphone to control my devices through Housebot, I see there is a HTML5 way of doing it which I am sure I can work out however what I am stuck with is configuring Housebot for external access and where I would need to put the HTML5 files?

Sorry to be vague but I cannot find any tutorials and I am learning as I go. I am starting to think maybe i am out of my depth!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris
bailers

Re: iPhone control - Is housebot not for me??

Post by bailers »

Ok, so probably just best to set up a swremote on a machine and install a VNC server and the get a VNC viewer for iphone.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

That's how I do it. I use the free LogMeIn server on the PC together with the iPhone app which costs about 24 Euro's. Works perfectly and you don't have to design a different remote for the iPhone.
bailers

Post by bailers »

Richard thanks for the reply, how do you set up the swremote to fill the iphone screen correctly, or do you have to change the server screen size??
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I just remotely control my XGA (1024x768) remote on the iPhone by zooming and scrolling through the theme panels. Works OK for me because I only use it remote (not at home). My remote matches the native res of an iPad so the iPad would qualify for the job even better. My standard control is done using five 15" touchscreens on various locations in my house so no great need for the iPhone when I am at home.