Any UK users?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
itm

Any UK users?

Post by itm »

I'm looking for an easy-to-install HA solution and Housebot looks ideal, but I don't see alot of support for it in the UK. Are there any UK users out there who can advise on where to source the relevant hardware?
b_weijenberg

Re: Any UK users?

Post by b_weijenberg »

With the use of a RFXCOM transmitter you can control:
DomiaLite, ByeByeStandBy and most interesting, HomeEasy lamp and appliance modules, HomeEasy heater.

With the RFXCOM 433.92 receiver you can receive:
HomeEasy remotes and wall switches, Digimax, cent-a-meter, Electrisave, OWL CM113, OWL CM119, Oregon Scientific sensors and body weight scale, RFXMeter, RFXSensor.

With the RFXCOM 868.95 receiver you can receive:
Visonic PowerCode sensors and BT VP1000 sensors.

X10 is supported using a CM11.

Note: do not use HomeEasy door sensors or motion sensors. These sensors produce for about 3 to 5 seconds a RF signal with the risk of disturbance of other sensor signals due to RF collisions. It is better to use X10 MS13 or DS90 sensors instead.
itm

Post by itm »

Thanks for the info. Could I ask a few really dumb noob questions?

1. If I wanted a really basic setup, allowing me to turn on an appliance using Housebot software, would the following hardware alone let me do this? -
- RFXCOM 433.92 Transmitter (USB)
- HomeEasy Remote Control Socket (e.g. HE302S)

2. What would an RFXCOM Receiver allow me to do? i.e. what are typical examples of the functionality which I could achieve if I was able to receive signals from remotes, wall switches, sensors, etc? I can see the purpose of controlling switches directly with a remote, but how would the RFXCOM Receiver enhance this?

3. What are the advantages of RFXCOM over ZWave?
b_weijenberg

Post by b_weijenberg »

1. If I wanted a really basic setup, allowing me to turn on an appliance using Housebot software, would the following hardware alone let me do this? -
- RFXCOM 433.92 Transmitter (USB)
- HomeEasy Remote Control Socket (e.g. HE302S)
Yes, with the 80005 USB transmitter and HouseBot you can control the HE302S (and all other HE types and other brands)
2. What would an RFXCOM Receiver allow me to do? i.e. what are typical examples of the functionality which I could achieve if I was able to receive signals from remotes, wall switches, sensors, etc? I can see the purpose of controlling switches directly with a remote, but how would the RFXCOM Receiver enhance this?
When you switch the lights using: HE switch ==> HouseBot ==> HE module, the status is known in HouseBot and this can be used in conditions.
For example: if the switch is pressed during daylight time switch only HE module X and during nighttime switch HE module X and Y.
Or another example: If module X is On (known in HouseBot because it has received the wall switch and switched the HE module On) and motion is detected switch module Y On.
3. What are the advantages of RFXCOM over ZWave?
Z-Wave is a little bit more reliable, (99.9% versus HomeEasy 99.7% when using also the RFXCOM receiver with CSMA-CA)
Check the price of HomeEasy and compare this with Z-Wave,
The RFXCOM transmitter can control different brands and hardware, see the list at http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#80005
The RFXCOM receiver can receive a lot of different (cheap) sensors, see the list at http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#80002
itm

Post by itm »

I've now ordered a HomeEasy appliance module pack (HE330S), and have decided to go for the RFXCom 433.92MHz transmitter with LAN interface. If I want to use this with Housebot will I need to purchase any additional interface hardware or software to get the RFXCom transmitter to work with Housebot?