Error with com port

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
b00n13

Error with com port

Post by b00n13 »

hi i m having the error

Error = insufficient data in read buffer.

i m currently using a usb to serial converter for my com port. i think this is the problem, anyone have any solution?

tks
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

You may want to purchase a multi-port serial card and use it instead of the USB-Serial converters. I've tried those before and while I've never gotten that particular error; I have had almost no luck what-so-ever in getting them to work correctly. I know others have used them with no problems so it probably comes down to some brands working and others that don't. Maybe if you could post which model you're using and other could post any sucess they've had and the brands they used. The ones I've tried that did not work were the no-name Comp-USA brand.
alinoro

Re: Error with com port

Post by alinoro »

I guess I should have read this old post before buying a new system without a COM port. I too bought a USB to serial converter and am getting this error: "Error reading COM port. Error = Insufficient data in read buffer". I am using an X10 CM11a.

Anything I could try to fix this error?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I am using 13 true COM ports and 4 USB -> Serial converters and 3 USB devices which use the FTD2xx chip to produce a com port. All working on the same PC controlled by HouseBot without any problems.
Just to let you know that USB to Serial does work!
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

My suspicions are that it comes down to individual USB->serial hardware and most likely software (drivers) that determine reliability. I have 2 converters (total 3 ports)operating and while they are mostly stable, when Windows is auto updated the reboot causes HB to not be able to "find" the ports. I have to restart HB and enable the hardware interfaces that rely on those com ports. Eventually I want to replace the USB converters with multi-port serial card(s).
Steve
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Mine are from three different brands. I had some trouble installing the last USB -> Serial converter because it used the same driver as one of the others and the installation manual said to install the driver first and then plug in the hardware. So I had to remove both converters, install the driver again (an updated one) and then plugged in the two convereters one by one. Since then it has never stopped working. I assign my com port numbers myself and they remain sticky even after a reboot.
alinoro

Post by alinoro »

Mine is a Sabrent. Have any of you been able to make it work consistently?