SW Remote on WindowsMobile Device Using DNS

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
art

SW Remote on WindowsMobile Device Using DNS

Post by art »

I now have a new WM6.1 Phone and I still having problems getting a SWRemote to work properly on it. It works fine with my IP address xx._._.xx but will not work with a DNS xxxx.dyndns.org. Since my IP address is not fixed I need to use a DNS service. The SWRemote I have on my desktop at my office works just fine with xxxx.dyndns.org so I know that that is not the problem per se. Anything else I should try on my phone? Anybody else on Verizon that has this working?
roussell
Advanced Member

Re: SW Remote on WindowsMobile Device Using DNS

Post by roussell »

Do you know if Verizon's DNS servers are correctly resolving your Dynamic DNS address? Do you have another way to test the resolution from the phone (teathering to a pc, web browse to dyndns address, etc...)? Also maybe you could try a different Dynamic DNS provider and perhaps Verizon can resolve that. I use no-ip.com, but with AT&T so I can't test myself.

Terry
JoelWener

Post by JoelWener »

I also have the same problem, On Windows Mobile 6.5, at least the remote will only start if I put the physical IP address, it doesn't seem to accept using a DNS host name. (Housebot 3.30.2)
art

Post by art »

It seems to be coming down to some problem with the SWRemote because I can use my phone tethered to my laptop to access the internet and the SWRemote on my laptop works fine with with a DNS address xxxx.dyndns.org.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Do you see an error message about the remote not being able to resolve the dns name? If not, be sure to turn on tracing from the SWRemote configuration dialog. If the host name/address contains any non-numeric (excluding periods) values, it is considered a DNS name and should attempt the lookup.
Scott
bcoggs

Post by bcoggs »

When the phone tethered to the laptop it will be using a different DNS so that isn't a good way to verify that it is SWRemote.
I'd personally try to use some other app from your phone connecting to your _.dyndns.org over your cell provider's IP connection, such as remote desktop or http. Of course you will need to configure something to respond to that service at _.dyndns.org...
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

FWIW, I had a friend who uses Verizon try to connect to a webserver I have through a no-ip.com dynamic DNS and it worked fine. If you can't figure out anything else with dyndns then maybe no-ip.com or another service will work for you.

Terry
JoelWener

Post by JoelWener »

Yes I get the error message that [][][][][][][][][] cannot be found. When I enter the IP of the dns address, works okay. I tried the dns address in browser, and it correctly looks up the ip for the dns address.
art

Post by art »

That is exactly the same error message that I get.
raptor_demon

Post by raptor_demon »

Just thought i would chime in and say i have exacly the same issue.

I'm with verizon also running winmo 6.5 on a touch pro 2.

raptor
parshva

Post by parshva »

Hi Guys,
I too have the same issue. My provider is Airtel (India).
Thanks,
-Parshva