Unable to open some settings menu

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Autodomain

Unable to open some settings menu

Post by Autodomain »

Hi all,

I'm unable to open the menu settings\configure generic serial port device .

Any idea ????

Housebot Ver 3.30.02 on Windows Vista 32bit.

Thanks in advance.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: Unable to open some settings menu

Post by Richard Naninck »

Did you enable the generic serial option during your HB install?
Autodomain

Post by Autodomain »

Richard Naninck wrote:Did you enable the generic serial option during your HB install?
Yes of course. And it was working at the first installation.
I have tried to reinstall HB software with same result. I can't go also in "settings\configure windows message service" and "settings\configure ir devices", the other "settings\" submenu is working.

Thanks
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

There's one I really can't answer. Hopefully Scott can help you! Good luck
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

So what do you see when you select the menu items? Does the popup window appear, but is empty? Or do you no longer even see the menu items?

Generic serial definitions are stored in your \housebot\config\genericserialdefs directory. Do you see that directory with the definition files?
Scott
Autodomain

Post by Autodomain »

ScottBot wrote:So what do you see when you select the menu items? Does the popup window appear, but is empty? Or do you no longer even see the menu items?
When I try to open all the three submenu under Setting\configure.... , nothing happens, means that I can't see any menu.
ScottBot wrote: Generic serial definitions are stored in your \housebot\config\genericserialdefs directory. Do you see that directory with the definition files?
Yes, I can see 3 definition files : custom interface.hdf, GenericSerialDevices.ddf and GenericSerialHardware.hdf.

P.S. I'm using a trial version with few days remaining.

Thanks.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Autodomain wrote:When I try to open all the three submenu under Setting\configure.... , nothing happens, means that I can't see any menu.
So under the settings menu you don't even see the three menu items, but you used to?

That menu is actually built from information in the registry. If you're familiar with regedit, see if there is anything in this registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CeBotics\HouseBot\XML Devices

I'm wondering if it's a permission issue. Also try logging into your vista system with an admin account (if you are not already) and see if it works.
Scott
Autodomain

Post by Autodomain »

ScottBot wrote:So under the settings menu you don't even see the three menu items, but you used to?
I can see the item but when I try to click on some of the three I can't see any window opening .
ScottBot wrote:That menu is actually built from information in the registry. If you're familiar with regedit, see if there is anything in this registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CeBotics\HouseBot\XML Devices
In the registry seems all ok I can see four items :
(Default)
GenericSerialDefs
IRDevicesDefs
WindowsMessageDefs
ScottBot wrote:I'm wondering if it's a permission issue. Also try logging into your vista system with an admin account (if you are not already) and see if it works.
I'm already admin of my computer !!! I have installed same installation file in other pc with XP and it is working, I don't know what to do more .
Please help me.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I wonder if the window is displaying, but it is off the screen or sized too small to see. Try this, go into regedit and delete the 'Device Config' key from the following location.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CeBotics\HouseBot\Device Config
Scott
Autodomain

Post by Autodomain »

ScottBot wrote:I wonder if the window is displaying, but it is off the screen or sized too small to see. Try this, go into regedit and delete the 'Device Config' key from the following location.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CeBotics\HouseBot\Device Config
Done and problem resolved !!!!

Thanks for Your quick reply Scott .