Accessing Views from SDK and Com control

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
roussell
Advanced Member

Accessing Views from SDK and Com control

Post by roussell »

Hey Scott,

I'd like to be able to read the full device and tasks names that are stored in Views. I'm writing an external app that I would like to display only certain devices and and tasks. In my mind this would be easiest to manage by putting the preferred devices and tasks into a specific view and then having the external app open that view and work with he items in it as if it were accessing them directly. For my needs this could be read-only but others might have different needs and probably just a simple call to return the devices: something like GetViewList("View1") would return "Front Post Lamp", "Start Irrigation Schedule", etc...

Some method to list the devices in Sub-Views would be nice as well. Example: GetViewList("View1.SubView1") would return devices and tasks in view "SubView1" view which is a child of "View1". Also, "SubView1" would return in the list with the devices and tasks (it's siblings) when the parent was queried (GetViewList("View1"))

Another avenue might be a modification to the GetTaskList and GetDeviceList functions to optionally include a View. Example: GetDeviceList("Array Delimiter", [View]") where view is optional but if specified the function would return devices in the named view only. This would make viewing subviews hard unless you also did the "GetViewList()" function as well.

If implemented, I would like to see it in the External control, the Com object for scripting, and some way to access it through the SDK as well.

Thanks,
Terry