Sluggish SWRemote

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Sluggish SWRemote

Post by Osler »

This is becoming something of a problem because my wife is starting to complain. It's not that the remote is unresponsive, but that there is a definite delay between touching a button and receiving a visual feedback that the button has been depressed. I am seeing this on only my SmartDisplay remote. The Nokia remote is fine. Both remotes operate via RDP into the same machine. I am convinced that the button action occurs when the touch occurs, it's just that the visual cue lags way behind. The theme I am using is not excessive in the number of panels and I have removed most of the unnecessary items (i.e., background changes on the fly) to attempt to correct the problem. I have a SmartDisplay I can send you if that would help you to debug this.

Osler
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Sluggish SWRemote

Post by ScottBot »

Diminishing WAF is not good.

What is the difference between the Smartdisplay and the Nokia? Is one considerably faster (and are they running the same version of the SWRemote?)

Also, is it all buttons or just a certain type of button?
Scott
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

It is all buttons. The nokia runs a different theme than the smartdisplay. I will load the nokia theme onto the smartdisplay this weekend to see if I get the same result or not.

Osler
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Running the nokia theme on the smartdisplay also results in slow performance....it is not theme specific. On the smartdisplay the button does not depress immediately upon touching the screen and, once depressed, it stays depressed for a much longer period of time than what I see using the nokia.

Using the v3.20 swremote with the smartdisplay and the current server was/is quite responsive, but results in the client socket error I previously reported.

Osler
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Question:

Does this happen after a while or is a sluggish right after starting the swremote.
My remote becomes very very sluggish after some running time but only when I keep it maximized. If I minimize the remote, I can get much longer times of faster response. I reported this some time ago in the thread: Remote getting slow over time. Not sure why it happens, but it is still bugging me. I would really like to keep my theme maximized all the time but I don't because of this problem.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

No, it is sluggish from the get-go.

Also, If I go directly to the computer account I am RDPing into and use the remote, it is fine. I think this is a smart display phenomenon that has become more apparent with the most recent changes Scott made. I don't know that there is a solution to the problem either.

Osler
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Well, lots of changes were made if I understand correctly to the graphics drivers because of the rounded button feature. That could be it than. That's kind of sad since dropping back is not really an option. Maybe you can find new drivers for the smart displays to get this fixed.

Anyways, in the near future I will pick up on my old thread about the swremote getting slower over time to see what I can do to get to the bottom of it. Maybe some of this problem is in some way related to yours.