X10 Transceiver Device

HouseBot Plugin Development Discussions.
kilowatt

X10 Transceiver Device

Post by kilowatt »

Scott,

How hard would it be to create a X10 Transceiver device that would repeat the 'Received Composite Property' of one hardware interface out a different hardware interface without needing to use a task. This should reduce the delay a task induces.

Changes made to housebot starting with version 3.02 seem to require a task in order for housebot to act as RF to powerline transceiver. A device like this would seem to provide nice flexibility for the user to control how X10 commands are repeated between interfaces.

see thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=856324&p=448129#p448129

Mark
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: X10 Transceiver Device

Post by ScottBot »

This has never really been handled well. It used to be that commands sometimes were resent when they shouldn't have been, so I broke it out into a separate 'receive data' notification so that it wouldn't, in any way, get confused and get re-transmitted. So now you need a Task to resend the data out on the powerline. This has the added benefit that you can control exactly what data gets retransmitted (in the case the maybe you don't want everything to be sent through). There shouldn't be much of a delay in the Task execution. Maybe the delay is the normal X10 powerline delay??
How hard would it be to create a X10 Transceiver device that would repeat the 'Received Composite Property' of one hardware interface out a different hardware interface
It could be done, but it would only work if the RF receiver interface was NOT using restricted notifications, since the controller device will need to select a powerline X10 interface for sending. Without using the restricted notifications option, you lose some control over which devices receive the notifications and in some configurations could be undesirable.

So I'm still not sure what the best solution would be. I thing your suggestion might be a step forward. Maybe just an option with the existing x10 controller device.
Scott
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I wasn't sure how hard it would be since usually a device is associated with a single hardware interface. Could the X10 Controller associated with the RF receiver have a option to select which other hardware interface it sends it's received data to? Plus it would need an option to enable this transceiver mode. That way the receive notification would not necessarily need to be enabled. Although probably it would not make sense to restrict notification if indeed the commands are being repeated to both X10 interfaces.

The other issue is that if you send an X10 command out an interface by setting the Composite property of a X10 controller it does not seem to currently get reflected in the housebot devices. It seems like if the command is being sent out a powerline interface it should be assumed that it was received by that interface also. I know there is the whole problem with creating loops which makes this all quite difficult.

I'll try to do some testing to see the difference in response time with a task verses direct repeating. I should be able to use version 3.01 for this since it can act as a transceiver. I have a copy I installed for testing and I can switch back and forth by renaming the housebot directory under Program Files.
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

With the task shown I could not perceive a difference in delay between using the task shown below and having housebot relay the command. I tested using housebot version 3.01.

Mark
HouseBot.jpg
HouseBot.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

kilowatt wrote:... Could the X10 Controller associated with the RF receiver have a option to select which other hardware interface it sends it's received data to? ...
Unfortunately no it can't. That's just part of the architecture. It can receive event notifications from different interfaces, but can only send to one.
Scott
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

Ok Thanks.

It seems that the delay is very close to the same whether we use a task or not. By using a task, with the current implementation it works as well as it would if we create a new device. So if this delay is unacceptable an external RF to Power Line X10 transceiver can be used. With this the restrict notification option should be set on the RF hardware interface to prevent housebot from seeing double commands.

Mark