Insteon turn on delay

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
kilowatt

Insteon turn on delay

Post by kilowatt »

I have two lamps in my living room that are controlled my Insteon Lamp modules. I'm using the PowerLinc Modem to control these with HouseBot. I have some tasks that turn these on and off based on a variety of events. To turn them on or off I change the 'Power State' property of one light followed immediately with changing the "Power State' property of the other light. when I turn them off there is about a 1 second or less delay between the two lights changing. When I turn them on there is about a 4 second delay between the two lights changing. Why is there a longer delay for turning on the two lights?

Also the 'Power State' history shows two events each time I turn the light on and only one event when I turn the light off.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Insteon turn on delay

Post by ScottBot »

It sounds like an old problem that I thought I fixed awhile ago. There used to be an issue where the plugin would detect that that light went on, but would wait a short period to send a status request to get the Dim level after the lamp has ramped to to full brightness. That way it could correctly set the dim level for the device. I remember changing it so that it would immediately set the Power State property to "On" (like it does when setting it to "Off), and allow the status request to come in later and set the Dim Level.

Assuming you are probably running the latest version of the PLM plugin, could you generate a Hardware Interface trace of the sequence of events where you turn the light on and send it to me?
Scott
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

Scott,

Here is the trace. 'I5' is the x10 code for the RF switch I use to control the lights. The task I use is pretty basic. The 'PowerLinc Modem Module' version is 3.01. The trace shows me turning the light on, off, on, off.

Mark
Attachments
InterfaceTrace.Weekly.Sep 21 2008.zip
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I looked into this and it was NOT the issue that I thought I fixed before. The issue I fixed before was related to notification messages if you turned on the switch manually (not through a HouseBot device).

So I think the trace looks correct. I'm still not sure why there is such a delay between turning the two lights on.

The problem with it showing up as both a change from the Task AND from the Device is/was a bug. Maybe this is related to the delay also. I'm sending you a PM about testing this.
Scott
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

Ok, I'll watch for the PM.

Just so you know, I don't have any link setup between the lamp module and the PLM. I have not found this to be useful. I had hoped the lamp module would notify HouseBot if I toggled the on/off switch built into the lamp which causes the lamp module to come on. It seems the lamp module does not send out any notification of this status change.

One of the frustrations with Insteon and HouseBot is that there is no relationship between devices that reflect the external links. So if a switch turns on I can get a notification to HouseBot from the switch but any external state changes to ganged switches or lamp modules that happen due to insteon links don't get updated in HouseBot. I can trigger a task that delays and then gets status from the various devices but this would get real complicated with more than a few devices. I'm not sure I have a good suggestion for improving this except maybe some kind of alias between devices that help changes get reflected in linked devices.