send [] failed: Error 10053 & 10054

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

send [] failed: Error 10053 & 10054

Post by Steve Horn »

Seems like I've had this one before. The HB server started spitting these errors out virtually continuously. I shut down the HB server and restarted it: same issue. Rebooted PC: same issue. Shut off PC and restarted w/cold boot: same issue. It got to the point that the HB server would start, spit out several of these (along with that VERY annoying error sound), then crash. I finally got it to stay up by reverting to normal bootup - the PC had been running in diagnostic mode (for months) using msconfig. What do these messages refer to? And how can I make that error noise go away? (As info: HB server version 2.10, and the problems began while running Meedio Essentials so of course I'm placing all blame on it, although I've run ME with HB before.. a lot.)
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: send [] failed: Error 10053 & 10054

Post by ScottBot »

Steve Horn wrote:What do these messages refer to?
They are both network connectivity errors.

Error 10053: Connection Aborted by Peer
Error 10054: Connection reset by remote side

You might want to make sure nothing has happened with your network connectivity. If you are using a wireless lan, make sure the signal strength is good. Could also be a network card problem, since it was working fine before.
Steve Horn wrote:And how can I make that error noise go away?
Now you have a reason to upgrade :wink: That option was included in the last update.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I'm getting these again - 10053 and 10054. No wifi access point on the network. Do these messages refer to the HB server connection to the LAN or ANY PC on the LAN with connectivity issues?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve Horn wrote:I'm getting these again - 10053 and 10054. No wifi access point on the network. Do these messages refer to the HB server connection to the LAN or ANY PC on the LAN with connectivity issues?
They relate to the connection between the HB server and SWRemote only. The server keeps an open connection to the remote at all times. If the connection gets broken, you may see this error. The server and remote should try an reestablish the connection when it has been broken, so you may not see an actual issue with the connectivity.

It's also possible that the remote may be going to sleep/hibernate. Sometimes there's a setting on the network card as whether to keep the connection when this happens.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

That helps some. But with a bunch (3) remotes its not possible to tell which connection is going South. Restarting the remotes should restore the connection, right?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I don't think the client info is traced out, so it may be tricky to find which has failed. You may be able to just look at the "Active Software Remotes" list and see if one is missing or looks to be initializing. That's probably the culprit.

It is supposed to reconnect when the connection is lost. However, that doesn't always happen for some reason.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

It easy enough to restart the SW remotes, one at a time. Maybe I can zero in on one particular culprit. They're all hard-wired - no wifi links.
Steve
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

I am seeing the error: 10054 crop up after I start iTunes on my HA server. When I use an execute program device to remotely start iTunes on the server HB is running on I get a series of 10054 errors. This may be a port issue as iTunes is communicating with my apple TV to serve up movies. It seems to settle down after about 10 error messages and I see no loss of functionality with my software remotes (though iTunes immediately crashes on occassion).

Osler