ALL OF MY WORK HAS VANISHED...POOF!

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
jonkjon

ALL OF MY WORK HAS VANISHED...POOF!

Post by jonkjon »

I have been arduously designing a software remote for the past 3 days. I had saved it at least 20 times. While adding an Insteon device, housebot crashed. When i restarted it (without rebooting my pc) , my software remotes were back to something i was working on months ago. Even my groups for my lights etc are gone. What the heck happened? Needless to say i am not too happy about this......
I am running housebot on a windows vista ultimate machine, core 2 duo 6700 @2.66 ghz with 2 gigs of ram - nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

The themes are XML files located here-

C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Config\Themes

you can look and see if it is there?

There is no automated backup of the themes- if you keep saving under the same name, it will keep overwriting the file.

You can back up the database (and should, whenever you are happy with a set of changes) from within HB. I think the lights group should be there.

I have a dedicated server for running HB- I just image the disk periodically.. . .

Markd
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I guess that this is yet another lesson learned about backing up! I really thought that by clicking the save button from inside of the software remote designer that i was saving my remote. Maybe i was...but, when this crash occurred, everything was wiped out inside of HB. I was not able to recover anything at all. Kind of scary......
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

When you hit the save button on the SWRemote, it will save the theme to a separate XML file in your \HouseBot\Config\Themes directory. If that file was somehow lost, you may be able to recover it from a SWRemote you were testing with and copy it back to the Theme directory on the server. To find the theme file(s) on the SWRemote machine, look in the \Config\Themes directory under the path setup as the "Root Application Directory" on the SWRemote.

However, if you lost other configuration items as well (like devices, tasks, etc.), then your main housebot configuration file was probably corrupted. You can restore an older version (first save your existing \HouseBot\Config\HBData.mdb file in case the backup is even worse) by copying the HBData.mdb file found in the \HouseBot\Config\Backup directory over the one in the \HouseBot\Config directory. This file is automatically backed up periodically by HouseBot. You will need to restart HouseBot to see the new database.

The backup feature in Version 3 (File/Backup Configuration) now will save not only the HBData.mdb file, but also all of the theme files. If, by chance, you happened to have used that recently, you can just do a restore from the File menu to get back to the last backup level.
Scott
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I don't know what happened here but i tried all of the things that you mentioned and none of my devices or themes were in the last auto backup. The scripts directory was fine however. I have started over and have pretty much recovered my configuration back to its original state. I am just much more dilligent about physically backing up everything to another drive. Thanks for the reply and i will let you know if it happens again.