Combined buttons for panel changes

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
markd
Advanced Member

Combined buttons for panel changes

Post by markd »

I'd like a button that could do a property change AND a panel change. Looking down the list a bit, I see a couple of other combos requested- maybe some sort of generic way to have a couple of things tied to one control?

I'm currently working around it with tasks, but it is going to get painful soon (doing distributed audio). I watch for a property to change, then close the popup panel with that task. As I replicate, I'll have to have differently named panels and tasks to watch them . .. so much easier if I could just set the property and exit the panel with the same button!

markd
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Could you also use a regular 'close panel' button and use the 'exit list' of the panel to set the property?
Scott
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Nope- for instance, I'm doing a cover art driven media screen. I have transparent buttons over the cover art (theres another request- dynamic button images! ;-). The behavior I want is to touch the cover art, and pop to a details page that shows the media in question.

So I need to set a property to indicate which cover has been touched (different for each one) and exit the panel.

Or am I missing something? Exit list is per panel, not per close panel button, right? Actually, that would work just as well for me- if each close panel button had its own exit list!

The workaround for dynamic buttons actually isn't bad- in some ways it works out better. And I can see the issues with pressed/non-pressed state.

I realize I can select with one button, then exit with another, but it feels MUCH cleaner to me to do it as one touch.

thanks

Markd
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I do this all the time using the exit list and scripting. The exit list sets a property that triggers a sub in the script. The script will then close the panel and open the newly choosen panel. The only setback is that this works for all active remotes unless you define different script devices per remote.
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

The different devices is the main reason I'm asking. I'm going to have 8-10 of these things eventually.

I still don't see how you can set the same property to two (or more) different values based on which button you hit. . .
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Very simpel.
Create a NULL Device and store whatever value you want to store in the device property. Task, scripts etc all can do this.
Don't use properties which hold multiple predefined values.
Below an example where Gordijnen means Curatins. This is the NULL Device and the Command is the property in that device. Different values are set in the same property depending on the case. A script or task listens to this Command value and can act upon it.
Attachments
Example.JPG
Example.JPG (65.29 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Richard Naninck wrote: A script or task listens to this Command value and can act upon it.

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate." ;-)

Ok, so this is exactly what I am doing, as I described in the 1st post . .. and it works ok, as long as there is only the one instance. My task watchs the property, which is set to different values by different thumbnail buttons. When the property changes, I know a thumb has been chosen, and I close the panel.

I think we are using the same work around, which has the same problem that it isn't very scalable.

Thanks

Markd