Ocelot (or Leopard I) not retaining IR Codes

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
derek

Ocelot (or Leopard I) not retaining IR Codes

Post by derek »

I have a lot of IR codes learned in Housebot that I use via the Ocelot plug in with a Leopard I controller and SECU16IR. The Leopard does not seem to be retaining all the IR codes. I keep having to resend codes to the Leopard from Housebot before they work. They work for a while and then the next day they don't work again until I go into the IR Configuration screen and highlight the required codes and click on Send (To Ocelot).

I do not have to re-learn the codes - just send them to the Ocelot again.

Most of the codes are Input but some ar Input/Output. I do not ever receive IR codes at the Leopard - only send from the SECU16IR

Any idea as to what could be wrong?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Is there any pattern to the codes that aren't retained? Like are they at the end of the list? Input but not output? Short codes vs. long codes?
Scott
derek

Post by derek »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there any pattern to the codes that aren't retained?

I don't know. I will take more notice of which ones go missing and document their location, I or O and length.

The problem seems to be getting worse. Codes can be there one minute and gone 5 minutes later.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Very strange. I don't like to point fingers, but it sounds like a Leo memory problem if they work one minute then don't the next.

You could also try using CMax to do the same thing. If you can specify a IR location when learning (I don't remember CMax too well), you can take HouseBot out of the equation.
Scott
derek

Post by derek »

Scott,

It get's stranger. I have been doing some more testing and here are my observations.

As you know I have more than 400 IR Codes that are sent out via a SECU16IR Zones 1-14.

I have taken Housebot out of the equation and am just sending codes from the Leo. I am using the Leo "Transmit Remote IR" and have chosen module 1 and zone 10. I have an emitter plugged into zone 10 with a feedback LED that flashes. I can only send codes from IRNumber 1 to 255. After that the LED does not flash suggesting locations above 255 in the Leo are empty.

I do have some empty locations below 255 (25-80) that are empty. When sending these from Cmax the emitter LED still blinks once but it will not blink at all for codes > 255.

Then I restart Housebot and can successfully send IR codes that have an IRPosition > 255. For example I have a mute command for 1 device that has an IRPosition of 376 in the Housebot database. I assume this should match to IR Position 376 in the Leo. Housebot will mute this device from software remotes or just sending the IR code from Housebot.

If I then quit housebot, load CMAX and send the same code I get no result and no flash from the emitter LED. Strange !!

Can u give me more information on what Housebot does when an IR code is sent? Does it just tell the Leo to send the relevant IR code from the correct module and zone? Does Housebot only store codes in the Leo when it is learned (on pressing OK) and when the "Send to Ocelot" button is pressed?

Why would Housebot be able to send code 376 but not CMAX?

Whenever codes do not work they can always be made to work by resending them from Housebot to the Leo. But this then causes other devices not to work - almost as if the newly sent IRCodes have overwritten some other codes.

Any clues ?? I am getting pretty desperate as I have this great whole home entertainment system that I cannot yet control.

Thanks for your help

Derek
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

derek wrote:I do have some empty locations below 255 (25-80) that are empty. When sending these from Cmax the emitter LED still blinks once but it will not blink at all for codes > 255.
Maybe you have an old version of CMax that didn't support the upper codes. Try downloading the latest version from App Digital.
Can u give me more information on what Housebot does when an IR code is sent? Does it just tell the Leo to send the relevant IR code from the correct module and zone? Does Housebot only store codes in the Leo when it is learned (on pressing OK) and when the "Send to Ocelot" button is pressed?
When sending to the Ocelot/Leo, HouseBot will either tell it to transmit from the unit itself, or from a SECU unit. If sending from the local unit, it passes the IR frequency and IR position. If sending from the SECU unit it also passes the target module and target zone.
Why would Housebot be able to send code 376 but not CMAX?
I guess I just write better software than the people who make the unit themselfes. :wink:
Whenever codes do not work they can always be made to work by resending them from Housebot to the Leo. But this then causes other devices not to work - almost as if the newly sent IRCodes have overwritten some other codes.
You have to be careful with this. HouseBot expects you to learn ALL of the codes through its interface. That way it knows what the code is. If you relearn the code outside HouseBot, that code position will be out-of-sync with HouseBot's memory of the code and things will start happening that you don't expect. One nice thing about learning through HouseBot (as you've experienced), is that after the Leo learns the code, HB pulls the code and stores it in its remote control library. This makes it easier to relearn the code back to the Leo. This is especially helpful if swapping out units.
Scott
derek

Post by derek »

Hi Scott,

I have worked out what is happening now but do not know how to fix it.

IRCodes sent from housebot to the Leo are wrapping around after position 255 when being stored in the Leo.

For example IR code 255 stores in position 255 in the Leo

IR code 256 stores in position 0 in the Leo

IR code 257 stores in position 1 in the Leo

and so on.

When I resend codes 1-40 they then correctly get stored in positions 1 - 40 in the Leo but as a result I have then lost IR codes 256-295.

When I get Housebot to send the IRCode stored in position 257 the Leo sends the code stored in position 1.

Housebot code 258 sends Leo code 2

Housebot code 259 sends Leo code 3

and so on.

Housebot instructs the Leo to send from the correct zone but not the correct code number.

For example:

Code 304 is supposed to go to module 1 zone 8

Code 48 is supposed to go to module 1 zone 5

When Housebot is asked to send code 304 it instructs the Leo to send code 48 out of module 1, zone 8

This does seem to be a housebot problem and not a Leo problem.

Is this possible given you may not have had users with more than 255 IR codes before.

I have not been learning any codes with CMAX - they are all learned in Housebot.

I did just try learning codes > 255 with CMAX and they then work correctly when sent from CMAX in these position numbers.

Sorry to be so repetitive with some of the explanation but I know it is not so easy to understand the events when working remotely.

Hope you can help with this.

Derek
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Derek,

I think you are probably the first to have sooo many codes. I control several devices with my SECU/Ocelot combo, but don't have that many codes.

In looking at the code, I think I see the problem. The problem as you described it matches exactly the error in the code.

It's an easy fix, but I need to determine how best to update the plugin in the new Meedio world. I'll get back to you with more info...

I guess I just write better software than the people who make the unit themselves.
I guess I have to eat these words. :cry:
Scott
JonFo

Post by JonFo »

Hi Scott, guess who else has a ton of IR codes? :wink:

I just proved to myself that any code listed as being >256 is not responding to 'send' commands from HouseBot.

Looking at my Xantech IR repeater panel, it's IR feedback LED blinks as expected for all commands slotted at 255 or less, anything above is dark.

I've deleted a bunch of remotes from the library, but can't get the ones I'm keeping renumber.

Any tips on how to do that?

Going into Access and fiddling the table is no problem either.

BTW- Still running the Meedio 2.22 version.
_______

Jonathan
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jonathan,

The problem has definitely been fixed and as near as I can tell, it should have been included in the 2.22 release. I think the fix required that the new codes had to be re-learned for them to work again.
Scott
JonFo

Post by JonFo »

Thnaks Scott.

So, I first delete all IR remotes, then re-load from the XML files and re-associated with device commands.

Correct?

Where does HB go to determine 'next ID' for the IR library?
Does that need to be reset before the re-load?

Just trying to make sure I get it right the first time, lots of IR in my rig.

Thanks
_______

Jonathan
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

JonFo wrote:So, I first delete all IR remotes, then re-load from the XML files and re-associated with device commands.

Correct?
I'd just relearn the > 256 codes. However, as I recall the problem was that the > 256 codes were actually being saved in the < 256 locations (it wrapped or something... don't really remember). If you find any < 256 codes that aren't working, relearn them too.
Where does HB go to determine 'next ID' for the IR library?
Does that need to be reset before the re-load?
It's fairly smart about it. It will look for the next unlearned hole to fill. If you delete one in the middle it will reuse it first.
Just trying to make sure I get it right the first time, lots of IR in my rig.
Yea, I know. I've seen your remote collection. :wink:
Scott
JonFo

Post by JonFo »

thanks Scott, will do.
_______

Jonathan