UK CallerID

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
graemep

UK CallerID

Post by graemep »

Firstly, thanks for HouseBot it's great. I'm still learning about it but there is one task I specifically want if for - Caller ID.

I'm trying to get the CallerID Hardware Interface to work.

I'm using a Hayes CallerID modem but suspect that the information the modem passes back when the phone rings might be different here in the UK.

HouseBot can see the phone is ringing but not the number that is calling.

I've used HyperTerminal to see what the modem is reporting when the phone rings and I get this (I've change the incoming phone number for privacy):

==start==

at

OK

atz

OK

at%ccid=1

OK

RING

TYPE = VOICE

DATE = 0915

TIME = 2232

CALR = 01793322xxx

RING

RING

==end==

What does US CCID info look like and can i get HouseBot to work with my modem?

Cheers.

Graeme.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Graeme,

The plugin that reads the caller ID data from the modem is looking for two pieces of data sent from the Modem. They are:
  1. NMBR = which identifies the phone number of the caller.
  2. NAME = which contains the name of the caller.
It appears as though your modem is returning CALR instead of NMBR and not returning the NAME tag at all.

Here's an example of the format that the plugin is expecting.

You might check to see if there is a way to configure the response strings to match what is expected from the plugin.

Scott
graemep

Post by graemep »

Hi Scott,

The best I can do is get it to report this:

===start===

RING

TYPE = VOICE

DATE = 0917

TIME = 1930

NMBR = 01793322xxx

RING

RING

===end===

So I can get it to report NMBR= instead of CALR= but UK Caller ID does not support NAME=. It looks ike the Plugin doesn't return anything unless NMBR= and NAME= are present.

Oh well.

Graeme.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Graeme,

Well I'd hate to preclude the entire UK from using HouseBots Caller ID feature :wink:

I've made a small change to the Hardware Interface. It was a minor change so I have not tested the changes at all.

There is now a new setting in the Modem/Phone Status Hardware Interface to specify whether the 'Name' information is included in the caller ID data. Set this value to No and see if it works for you. It will now check for either CALR or NMBR in the caller ID data.

To test the new plugin, download this ZIP file and unzip it into your \HouseBot\Plugins\Interfaces directory. it should replace the existing plugin file.

You will need to restart HouseBot.

Let me know how it works for you,

Scott
graemep

Post by graemep »

Hi again Scott,

I unzipped the new DLL as instructed and it worked straight away. Wow, fantastic , Thank you very much.

Graeme.