Sleep timers and Button Tasks

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Sleep timers and Button Tasks

Post by Steve Horn »

(I posted this on the AVSForum, and am just replicating it here.) Would like to know a way (or have a feature added) that can use the sleep timer device to run a task at the end of the time interval that replicates button clicks. This would allow a timer to automatically close a panel and return to Home for example after n minutes. Other uses could be found I'm sure, once the tasks could replicate panel button activity (closing pop-ups, returning to home, exiting, minimizing, etc.)
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

I know this is a popular request. I would like it as well.

I've though about it a little, but keep running into design issues that relate to having multiple Software Remotes.

For example, to close a Panel (or control a SWRemote in any way) from a Task you would need to select the Panel by name that you want to control. But Panels belong to Themes, not SWRemotes, so which SWRemote do you send the control to? All of them that are using the selected Theme? Maybe you use the same Theme throughout the house and you don't want what is happening on one SWRemote effecting the others.

I was thinking that if a Task is started by pressing a Task button on a SWRemote that the Task would then control the Panels on the calling SWRemote. Maybe an option to select whether to control the calling SWRemote or all SWRemotes with the same Theme.

Maybe you have some better ideas on this. I've still not come up with anything that I feel comfortable with. I know it seems easy, until you have to figure out how to code it. :wink:

Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Scott, I had not thought about multiple remotes; and I use several. :oops: So I'll have to think on this more (like I should have before). I lost sight of the fact that the remote is essentially a viewer, with all transactions controlled by the server. But your idea about limiting task control to the "originating" remote sounds like it would work. And I cannot think of a situation when an "all remotes" capability would be needed. (Although just as soon as I say that, there will be someone that has a good application for that capability.) I guess I envision remotes as opererating totally independently, even if they're controlling the same devices.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

Examples for opening a Panel on all remotes would be for notifications/alerts. For example, when a call is received a pop-up could be displayed on all remotes that shows the caller ID info. The Panel could be dismissed with an OK button or timeout (another feature that is on the list).

Generally a remote is associated with a particular task, but there is also a valid case for an all encompassing Theme that is shared on all remotes across the house. Although it may not be helpful to be able to control the TV in the den from the bedroom, it is nice to be able to have a single UI that is used throughout the house.

Scott