generic serial plugin

HouseBot Plugin Development Discussions.
Paul Forgey

generic serial plugin

Post by Paul Forgey »

I have a few simple questions about the generic serial plugin.

I have a device which expects numeric values to be 0 padded to a specifc number of places. e.g. to set the volume to level 14 I'd say '014MVLZ'. Perhaps allowing FormatMessage or sprintf style formatting? '%03d%MVLZ'

This same device can give me a binary dump of its status whenever it changes. I imagine parsing this is beyond the generic serial interface device capabilities. Now, to make sure I'm getting the general idea of how this all works, I'd write a Device, not Hardware, plug-in and have it talk to the existing serial hardware plug-in..?

Judging from the sample 'System Time' device, I'm assuming that once I do that it would be a simple matter for the UI to reflect these status properties.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Paul,

As you are discovering, the Generic Serial plugins work well for a wide range of simple ASCII protocol command devices. Although the plugin has been extended many times to include more and more flexibility, at some point it makes more sense to just write a specialized plugin for the hardware.

You would definitely need to write a Hardware Interface plugin. This would replace the functionality of the generic serial Hardware Interface. Typically if you write the Hardware Interface plugin, it makes sense to then write your own Device plugin as well. This allows you to customize your Device Properties and behaviors however you wish.

Once you create your Device, it's Properties and values will operate within the system as any other Device Properties.
Scott
Paul Forgey

Post by Paul Forgey »

Things are coming along fairly nicely. Anybody have a Krell HTS 7.1 they want to test with? I've got a Showcase (its little brother), and since the RS-232 commands are a subset of the 7.1 I should be able to write this plug-in to work on both.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Howto write your own hardware device plugin?

Post by Richard Naninck »

Scott,

I also control my Onkyo receiver via your generic serial device. Output works fine, but feedback from the receiver is really difficult to manage with the current generic serial device driver.

Do you have sample code of the generic serial device orso that I can use to write a dedicated Onkyo serial plugin for my receiver. By doing that, I could parse all of the feedback like it is supposed to be and have an alive status of my receiver all the time. Furthermore, I guess the response times could also be tweaked a bit.

It would be nice if in time a complete plugin database would develop for all kinds of serial devices like audio equipment and so on. All top level amps and receiver carry a serial out these days.

Thanks,

Richard
Paul Forgey

Post by Paul Forgey »

Richard: I think my code could really help you once I get it actually complete enough.

meedio people: Are there any legal problems making my code available for my Krell plug-in in general? Just to board members? To anybody?

It's also derived from the template projects, so there's a bit of the template code sprinkled throughout it. Even without that, I know some software manufacturers are strict about keeping plug-ins proprietary.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi Paul,

I'd love to see the code for your device if no one has any problems. I want to write a module myself but I'm just coming up to speed on C++. If I could see the code for a working module I think it would speed up my learning curve tremendously. Let me know what you think.

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Paul,

If the serial protocol is published, I don't think there would be any issues with sharing your code. Any code you use from the HouseBot SDK can also be used and shared in any way.

Richard,

If it's just the received data that you are trying to parse, another option that you may want to consider is to write a VB Script to parse the received data. The script could then update various Property Values.
Scott
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

Scott,

This thread brings up a good point. The samples that are in the SDK are a good starting point, but it would be nice to have a more indept 'sample' included also. Would it be possible to see the code for one of the current hardware/device interfaces? This way we could see how each piece of code is reflected in the HB GUI and such.

I know you will say that it is hard to do because people don't have the same set-up, but I would think that just being able to see the guts of a real life plugin would take us a lot further into the plugin development world.
Thanks,
Scott J
aka spike5884
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I realize that the samples could probably be more practical. I've tried to include all of the typical stuff in them, but it's hard to cover everything.

I'll check into the possibility of publishing one of the plugins... It's not really my decision any more.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Paul,

Did you decide if you are going to make your code available? I am going to start the process of writing my own plugin over the weekend and I think it would really bring me up to speed if I could see your code - even if it's not completely finished yet.

-- Dave
wallebalboa

code for serialcontrol of DSP

Post by wallebalboa »

Hello.

I am planning to write a serial control for a Rotel DSP. As a rookie on C i need as much help as possible. :wink: How are you two progressing with your code? Are you willing to share?

Is the source to the meridian plugin available to use as a sceleton? (who wrote it, Scott?)

The major reason for not using the generic serial is that the DSP is reporting status on the serial port every time it changes, even if the change is not initiated from the serialport. I also want to add a "absolute volume property" not only up/down.

regs
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Yes, I wrote the Meridian plugin. It's a very simple plugin and could probably have been implemented with the Generic Serial plugin (but the Generic Serial plugin was developed after the Meridian plugin).

You may want to give the Generic Serial plugin a shot before trying to write your own. For simple protocols, it can do all of the work. If you need more advanced handling of response strings, you can use VB Script Devices to parse the response data.

...the DSP is reporting status on the serial port every time it changes, even if the change is not initiated from the serialport.
I would see this as being a good thing to have, not something to avoid. This allows the HouseBot Device to always be in sync with the actual physical device regardless of how the device is controlled. For example, if you have a Volume Property in the HouseBot Device, you would want the volume level (number) to display the correct value whether the volume was changed through HouseBot or by the physical device.
Scott