Error enabling serial device

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Error enabling serial device

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I just created a new serial device and all the setup seemed to go fine. The device is on COM10 but when I try to enable it I get this error in the log:

Unable to open COM Port [10]. Rc = The system cannot find the file specified.

COM10 showed up in the list of available ports so HouseBot at least knows its there. I also successfully connnected with and communicated to the serial device on this COM port using Hyperterminal. Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

I also get this message in the system log right after the one above:

Error initializing hardware for module [C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Plugins\Interfaces\GenericSerial.dll]

I also found that when I try to enable the device the CPU goes to 100%. This seems to be reproducible right now. If you want me to do any tracing or test a different version of the serial driver let me know.

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Dave,

Yes, there is a problem in the plugin for ports over 9. It's an easy fix, and I'll email you a link to it sometime tomorrow. I'm still too full from lunch to type accurately. :wink:
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Dave,

Here's an updated Generic Serial plugin that will work for com ports 10 and above. You will need to unzip it and copy the DLL into your HouseBot\Plugins\Interfaces directory. You might want to backup the old one just in case there is a problem with the new one.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi Scott,

This one enables with no errors but I'm experiencing the same thing I did when I created my first serial device. I can only send *one* command at which point HouseBot goes to 100% CPU. Closing the GUI doesn't stop the server process - I actually have to stop it with Task Manager.

-- Dave
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Is there any kind of trace I can run that might give you a clue as to what is going on here?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I don't think so. I've looked at the code and have pinpointed one spot where the issue could be. I was planning on adding some tracing to that area and letting you test it. It might be Monday before I get a chance to work with it.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Ok - thanks!